The Sewing Place

New Overlocker Best Thread

BrendaP

Re: New Overlocker Best Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 23:30:37 PM »
As the Resident Bodger here, I use Moon threads - at about a £1 a go, it's cheap enough to buy four, and use them for anything and everything  0_0
Moon thread will work in the overlocker, but it is significantly thicker than the regular SewAll thread, let alone the cheap cones of poly thread sold for overlocking.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 09:22:06 AM »
I too use anything to hand in the OL.  Neither of mine are fussy.  I got most of my OL cones/cops secondhand as part used, or from charity shops.  I rarely have to buy overlocker thread, and usually mix and match it (except the LH needle).

An exception is the latest Poppins frock, where I need hot pink stand out hems.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 10:38:35 AM »
Lidl do overlocker thread from time to time and I now have all their colours, collected over a few years.  It's very reasonably priced and runs through my machine with no problems.

It's easy enough to even out the usage over time, just put the cones with the least thread on the needles and those with the most on the loopers.

Helen M

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 12:49:24 PM »
I only buy 2 cones of overlock thread apart from white, black and grey. For the rest I fill old metal sewing machine bobbins to use in the needles. As has been said they use far less than the loopers.

I do the same thing with the coverstitch from one ordinary reel of matching thread. Haven't had any problems on either machine.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55