The Sewing Place

Any Ideas Costume Makers?

Lolli

Any Ideas Costume Makers?
« on: June 25, 2018, 18:26:55 PM »
I'm trying to find a pattern to make something similar to this...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jalie have some that have sleeves but not high necked. Does anyone know of a pattern similar to the above?

Failing that, would it be feesable to use the pattern below? Was thinking I could make the sweetheart neck into a plunge (we all know I've done that before haha!), and make a half circle skirt to attach?

Efemera

Re: Any Ideas Costume Makers?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 19:16:21 PM »
Dont see why not.. a high neck would be easy to add.

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 20:04:50 PM »
I'd hack the Jalie. High neck hack is easy enough. The skirt concerns me a bit though - the front section looks a bit odd with the space at CF.  If it were mine I'd close the skirt piece  at the waist line and then open it down on a curve from the waist seam. But as it's nothing to do with me feel totally free to  ignore me!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lolli

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 21:02:48 PM »
@Catllar I totally agree about the skirt, I think it looks odd too. Your suggestion is much better.

To make a high neck on the Jalie, would it be as simple as cutting a strip and sewing it on?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 21:04:27 PM by Lolli »

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:29:30 AM »
Theoretically yes but you'll be needing to shape it to curve into the throat. Not a lot cos the stretch is forgiving but essentially you are making a neck band.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   Don't know if you can see but that's what I did here.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Sewingforfun

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 09:04:30 AM »
How about this one - Kwiksew K3272? It has a high neck, raglan sleeves and even a sort of similar back. You'd have to add the sweetheart style lines at the front, alter the skirt and how it attaches, and drop the back, but it would be a good place to start.

https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/k3272#.WzHyKi-ZNzA

Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Lolli

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 09:35:58 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion @Sewingforfun  ;)

I'm not sure what I'd be more confident to tackle, making the high neck on the Jalie or creating a new front on the Kwik Sew. I'm not very good at altering designs of patterns and the thought scares me  :S

Sewingforfun

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 11:57:23 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion @Sewingforfun  ;)

I'm not sure what I'd be more confident to tackle, making the high neck on the Jalie or creating a new front on the Kwik Sew. I'm not very good at altering designs of patterns and the thought scares me  :S

You're welcome!

I'd go with the Kwik-Sew, because it has most of the hard stuff already done for you - the raglan sleeves, the high neck, the angled lines on the back shoulders. The rest is actually pretty simple, much easier than the last one, because the sweetheart is just a colour block, not structural like the last one.

What I'd do is this. You'll need some tracing paper (you can buy it for sewing or I often use the stuff from Rymans taped together to make the correct sized piece!). It looks long, but I've tried to separate the steps for clarity.

1) trace off and make up the Kwik-Sew in a cheap lycra to the correct size (adjusting the length if you need to), but without the skirt (just sew the panties part on without it).

2) once it fits, with your DD wearing it, use a marker pen to draw the sweetheart shape on where you want it. If you want those contrast cuffs, mark lines those too, and mark the cutaway back line.

3) decide how you want the skirt - sewn into the leotard lie a skating skirt? Or sewn on the top, which is what the pictures looks like.Cut a test skirt (it looks like a simple half circle in chiffon), and fiddle with that using pins until you are happy with it, and mark the line it goes on, too.

4) make a tracing of the correctly fitting pattern with whatever changes you made including tracing the sweetheart, back lines, etc.  If you want to sew the skirt in, mark the new line where it goes, or if you want it on top, merge the panties piece into the main leotard body to make single pieces

5) Cut out your new pattern, adding seam allowances where you need them. Make some straps - here are some methods

6) make a new toile, preferably with mesh for the mesh parts, and make any extra changes.

7) Cut and make up the whole thing in your final fabrics.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 14:24:51 PM »
Nothing to add to this. I'd go with sewingforfun's advice.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 16:29:01 PM »
Have you looked at Jalie 2917?  It has the skirt - just omit the front bit.  It has the high neck and a keyhole back opening.  So, you'd combine the main bit of the bodice with that strip at the top into one piece, reshape the neckline and open up the back a little more.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Lolli

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 17:09:13 PM »
Thank you @Sewingforfun for your detailed description of what to do, that's incredibly helpful to me and @MitchOfTheNorth for the other Jalie pattern suggestion. I had seen that one but as it's straight across at the bust I skipped past it.

I'll have a thorough look at the Kwik Sew  and Jalie 2917 and see which one I'm brave enough to tackle  -<
It's a shame you can't pre-download the Kwik Sew instructions as you can the Jalie ones, that would be handy.

Georgie

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 17:10:45 PM »
I have this pattern do you want a photo of the instructions?
Aka Trickybottom

Lolli

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 18:13:07 PM »
@Georgie that would be fantastic, thank you!  0_0 I'll pm you my email

Georgie

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 20:57:08 PM »
Just emailed them to you it’s a real easy pattern x
Aka Trickybottom

Lolli

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 21:23:00 PM »
Just emailed them to you it’s a real easy pattern x

Thank you so much! Was just about to post to say I'd decided to go for the Kwik Sew pattern, I think that will be the easiest to tweak. After looking online at the back of the pattern it tells you sizes XS, S, M, L etc but doesn't tell you what measurements fit those sizes. Is there a chart online that I can compare my DD'S body measurements to, so I know what size she falls into?

***edited to say I've just seen the chart on one of the pics  :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 21:57:30 PM by Lolli »