The Sewing Place

Any Ideas Costume Makers?

sewing in oz

Re: Any Ideas Costume Makers?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 07:58:30 AM »
Here's an ebay listing with a photo of the back of the pattern envelope, which has the sizes on it.  Does this help?

Kwiksew 3272

Lolli

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 08:57:34 AM »
Thank you! The pics I saw on the internet didn't show the measurements for some reason. I bought it yesterday  0_0

Lolli

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 10:58:36 AM »
I've made a start with this costume, made the first one up for fitting and drawn the sweetheart style line, taken it apart again ready to re-trace. Once I've made the toile (hopefully it works!) I'll also need to make a toile of the skirt (it's being sewn on rather than within a seam).
My DD wants the skirt to start at the side seams as that was the original idea. Neither of us like the position of the skirt on the pics at the beginning of this thread, we think it looks odd but she also doesn't want it to start at the CF sloping out to the sides. She needs to be able to hold the edges of the skirt right out at the sides so if I'm correct she needs a full circle skirt but only half of it? If I am right in that approach, how do I go about it without making a full circle skirt and cutting it in half and therefore wasting fabric? A pic of the original skirt idea...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:00:11 AM by Lolli »

Sewingforfun

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 12:51:00 PM »
Hi! Glad it's all coming along.

Circles/half circles/quarter circles/two circles/three circles are all really easy and all made the same way.  For an adult/teen longer length you will have to make them in several sections anyway, unless your fabric is really wide. It's only for little kids or very short skirts that you can make in one piece folded twice.

You make a pattern for a quarter of the circle, then cut it on the fold for a half circle, cut two half circles and stitch together for a full circle, cut four half circles for two circles, etc! 

There are lots of circle skirt calculators on the interweb - this Craftsy tutorial is pretty clear about how to lay it out and add seam allowances. Here is another one that has a built in calculator.

One thought - if she needs to pick it up high (anything with hands above waist) a full circle might be better as it will give her more fabric to play with without the back riding up.  If you do want to do a full circle attached at the back only, use ½ the waist measurement in your calculations to keep the waist hole from being too big.

Good luck! xx
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Lolli

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 19:17:17 PM »
If you do want to do a full circle attached at the back only, use ½ the waist measurement in your calculations to keep the waist hole from being too big.

See, I wouldn't have known that!

Thank you Carol, that info has cleared up all my confusion. I think I know what I'm doing now  0_0 xx

Lolli

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 12:28:03 PM »
So this skirt.....

Is it best to sew it straight onto the leotard or attach it to some elastic first? Not sure of the best technique for placement without it being too bulky.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 22:27:04 PM by Lolli »

Lollipop

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 20:57:22 PM »
For the pants I would add it between the waistband and pants and if its a leotard I make a cut line, remembering to add seam allowance, where I want the skirt to fall from. 0_0
Was Sewnanny

Yellowfeather

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2018, 07:48:54 AM »
I wouldn't attach elastic to the skirt, the Lycra will act as the elastic for you.  I doesn't really matter if you add the skirt into the seam or sew it on after, if I have a seam, then I would use it, but if not, I prefer to mark where I want the skirt to be and sew on, that way if there is a change of mind, or the child grows etc, you can move/replace it much easier.  Just remember that if your skirt fabric has no stretch, you will need to stretch out the Lycra as you sew.

Lolli

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2018, 10:58:14 AM »
Thank you @Yellowfeather   :flower:

There was a waist seam on the original pattern but it went down into a point at the front and back. I didn't want that so took it out during the hacking process. It's now a full leotard with no waist seam and the intention has always been to sew it on rather than in, plus it's only going round the back.
I was wondering if I should sew the skirt on upside down so there's no raw edge visible?
By that I mean sewing it right sides together with skirt fabric towards the top half of the leotard so that once sewn, it hangs over. Not sure I've made any sense there!

Yellowfeather

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 11:26:02 AM »
Perfect sense! :D  And yes, sew it on upside down, then the raw edge is hidden underneath.

Lolli

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »
Oh finally, I am showing signs of having an inkling of what I'm doing haha  0_0 0_0

Thank you  ;)

Sewingforfun

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2018, 15:11:22 PM »
One more small thought I'm sure you've also already thought of - use a zig zag or stretch stitch to attach it so it has a little give.

xx
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Lolli

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2018, 17:19:24 PM »
Yep, that's one I do know!  0_0
Thanks Carol xx