The Sewing Place

I need professional help

Lowena

I need professional help
« on: June 26, 2018, 17:52:52 PM »
I have decided that I have one specific top which I would like to standardise to wearing. It fits well and apart from needing to be 2" longer, the original top ( from FatFace ) could be used as a template. I would like to commission several of these tops ( up to a dozen if the workmanship was ok ) It is 100% cotton..
Now, I looked up local dressmakers and hit a big snag..... not only aren't there many, but they all either only do repairs and alterations or do bespoke bridal / occasionwear ( Posh Frock Shop  :o )
Any tips on finding someone suitable locally, or, alternatively, would anyone on here consider making one for me if I sent the top and fabric, with a view to making several more if everything went to plan?
I'll post a picture if anyone is interested.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

crafter

Re: I need professional help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 18:44:36 PM »
I would like to see a picture pls, @Lowena

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 20:02:14 PM »
I happen to be wearing it today, which made me think....

Kwaaked

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 20:22:15 PM »
Try calling those that do the special occasion wear.  They may be willing to do it when they hit their down time anyway.

mammafairy

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 22:35:52 PM »
A potential snag, for a professional doing it is that copying a named brand item is possibly a bad idea, they could get into trouble for that? maybe, maybe not... It is one thing doing that for oneself, another doing it and selling that service? Or perhaps I am being too 'nice', and they would jump at it.

It looks like a knit, or jersey fabric? Looks very comfortable to wear.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 09:25:37 AM »
Thanks girls, it says 100% cotton, that's all.

Sewgorgeous

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 23:45:53 PM »
That looks like quite a simple design could you not make some yourself? maybe practice in some cheap fabric a couple of times.  It looks like cotton jersey and would not take long to make on an overlocker if you have one. ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 23:48:04 PM by Sewgorgeous »

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 10:21:55 AM »
@Sewgorgeous  thanks for the interest. There is no way I could ever make anything!! I don't even know what an overlocker ( or cotton jersey ) is????
I have never attempted a garment in my life ( we didn't even have sewing lessons at school ) and wouldn't know how to even approach it.

mammafairy

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 22:45:55 PM »
well, if you sew anything else, such as patchwork, then actually, garments are sort of simple...It is just sewing bits together, and you already do that with patchwork... Just saying....   ish... If you lived near me, I would sort of guide you, but I guess you are a bit far for in person helps...

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 02:40:27 AM »
Thanks @mammafairy  but I couldn't even contemplate laying out the pieces let alone cutting and sewing. Patchwork is all straight lines and as for interfacings or whatevers  :o :o

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 09:30:04 AM »
There's no point in nagging our @Lowena  to have a go at making clothes; she's stubborn and if she doesn't want to do something she'll say she can't do it.  On the old forum there was a lot of cajoling her to take off the "can't do it" hat

Lowena does patchwork, and has got pretty good at it, because she wants to do it.  She's recently had a go at needle felting (because she wanted to) and she's getting to be quite good at that too (I had a try once and found it boring :\ ) but it's obviously not boring for for her.  She knows what she wants to do and what she doesn't want to do, and if she doesn't want to do it she won't!

<3 Lowena, it takes all sorts to make the world.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 09:38:18 AM »
@BrendaP  you know me too well  :| and I am persevering with the family history  :angel:
However........ in my defence  :P...... it's not quite true what Bren says . I wouldn't know where to begin with patterns with lots of lines on, sorting out sizing, cutting curves etc etc  I think it needs to be left to professionals ( or gifted amateurs ) I'd hate to wear anything that people could identify as being "homemade" .... homemade is very different from being handmade to which I could never aspire.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 12:15:39 PM »
The reason you don't know about all the lines on patterns is because you have never wanted to know what they are about, not because you brain wouldn't take it in if you were interested in knowing.

To some extent everyone is better at the things they like doing, but you @Lowena  are a bit more stubborn than most and hide behind that "can't do it hat".  Keeping going with the family history proves that you've got a good brain underneath that hat.  :loveit:

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 14:15:42 PM »
No No No No No No  Not true, not stubborn at all ...  :angel: I just know my limitations  :ninja:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 14:34:32 PM by Lowena »