The Sewing Place

Servicing your machine!

Louweasel

Servicing your machine!
« on: June 26, 2018, 19:48:30 PM »
So my machine, a basic Janome 2200XT about five years old, was ocasionally seizing up; it would stick with the needle down and the hand wheel would only rotate about 45 degrees. It needed attention! It was also very noisy and clunky.
I took it to a local place asking them to look at it and they serviced it....oh my goodness it’s like a new machine! It doesn’t seize up and it is so much quieter when I first used it I thought it wasn’t sewing!
Take my advice and if you’ve had your machine a few years, treat it to a service; you might not have noticed how much noisier it has got and it is worth every penny.

Surest1tch

Re: Servicing your machine!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 22:56:38 PM »
With the right tools and equipment mechanics can to to the parts we can't, sometimes even a little burr we can't see on a part can cause some terrible problems, a good mechanic can usually tell by the sound of it and will either grind or buff it off.  I have all my machines machanic serviced annually.

Louweasel

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 06:32:46 AM »
Goodness I couldn’t afford to do it that often; it cost £75 plus VAT and my machine only cost £120 - it would be cheaper to buy a new machine every two years.
But it is a very happy machine now - never mind purring like a kitten, it is more like the sigh of a fairy!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »
Oh, Lou, we all understand believe me. The recommendation is servicing annually or at least every 18 months. Please don't tell my machine!

Mine is even pricier to clean here, as it has an embroidery module which must be serviced at the same time. The machine was bought on sale for $295, down from $395. The "annual" service locally runs $150. If it were just the sewing machine it would be $110.  In the UK that's 223 instead of 298 with the service being 113 or 83 for just a machine. I'm trying to figure out how to add the UK pound symbol but it didn't work.

So my machine has not been in. I don't sew a great deal, don't sew any challenging heavy fabrics, keep it in a case and keep it cleaned out. New needle every project or two depending on size, good quality thread, every bobbin change I clean out the raceway and remove all the lint and bits. I also sew "properly", never going over pins or pulling on the fabric.

If I had an expensive machine or sewed weekly with it I would absolutely take it in regularly. I'm thinking maybe in January or February next year. Serger ought to go in with it. I'll clean house or something while they're gone.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 09:01:30 AM »
I’m definitely a sewing slut....I’ve had my Pfaff Expression 4 for around 8 years and I sew a lot...it’s never been serviced though I do clean it out. My Bernina overlocker is 30 years old and been serviced once. My other machines have never been serviced. I don’t have a trusted shop anywhere near me. I’ve bought my last two Babylocks from Hobkirk’s and was impressed by them so I might send the Pfaff to them for some TLC.

Kad

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 09:10:09 AM »
I've recently collected my Janome 11000 from Jaycotts where it had spent 1 week having a  spa treatment  :D it cost £75 incl vat - it didn't need any parts, in fact it was in excellent condition apparently. I'd bought it 2nd hand off the internet about 6 years ago so thought that it was about time to service it.

Before taking it to Chester, I'd rung Janome in Stockport to see what they'd charge, it was roughly twice that at Jaycotts. I also rang my nearest dealer in Blackburn and was amazed by their service charge - just under £200! Needless to say I had a lovely day out in Chester and another in Cheshire Oaks outlet.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 10:02:41 AM »
I'm a bit of a sewing slut as well it would seem! My brother 730D overlocker is 28 years old and I've never had it serviced. I clean it out and oil it regularly, I even took the cover off a couple of times and oiled a couple of places that looked like the other places that I'd already done. I replaced the blades a couple of years ago. I rang Bambers to ask them if they could do it and he said try it myself and he'd do it if I had problems.

My Janome 4618LE is 7 years old and I've not had it in for service. The previous machine (same model, different name) I had for 20 years and took it to Janome for a service once when I needed a new foot pedal. Again I clean it out regularly and I have one of those miniscule vacuum attachments which help especially with the overlocker.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »
I haven't had any of mine serviced for years - I thought my man Bob Green had retired!  So, I've been cleaning and oiling them myself and they are running fine.  Except of course the Riccar O/L, which I managed to break....

I have replaced it so nothing urgent yet, but so glad Bob Green is still working his magic on sewing machines!  Always good to know.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 12:14:37 PM »
Oh my goodness, I can't believe what you have to pay  :S. Mine cost me £40 each plus any parts needed.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 16:21:37 PM »
Ask yourself what is actually done during a service; be it sewing machine or a car.

They replace the bits and pieces which regularly wear out, make sure everything is properly lubricated and check that it's all running OK. 

With a car it's things like changing filters and checking brake pads etc, but if those brake pads need replacing that's extra work and extra charge.  With a sewing machine it can only be de-fluffing and a new needle.  If the problem is more than that then something has broken or worn out, and you will know that there's a problem as the machine will be mis-behaving.

I really can't see why you need to take a sewing machine to be serviced, ie de-fluffed, if there is nothing else wrong with it.  I know they try to say that electronic machines should be serviced regularly, but why?  Either the electronics are working fine or they are not.  You don't take a computer in for regular 'servicing'.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 16:30:58 PM »
We do @BrendaP  :| our tecchy comes every 3 months to make sure everything is ok with the desktop computer. She runs lots of programmes which metaphorically cleans it out and it always works much better afterwards. I'm scared to take the feet / plates off my machine so it is serviced yearly at the shop. It costs £45.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 18:47:11 PM »
Taking one foot off a sewing machine and replacing it with another is part of using the machine, not part of "servicing" it.  Same with replacing a needle.

Likewise, clearing out unnecessary files is part of using a computer, though it does get a bit techie sometimes.  However, and I might be wrong, but I don't think that electronic sewing machines have the ability to create all the junk files that fully fledged computers can.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 20:04:09 PM »
Good job I only do p and q and cushions @BrendaP ......I use the same foot for everything, and the same stitch  :| I do change the needle before each new project and blow around inside when I pot a new bobbin in  0_0
I can't get the plates back on if I take them off,the twice I tried, I ended up taking it back to the shop for them to do it  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 20:37:57 PM »
If a machine is serviced properly it involves more than just de fluffing. The covers on the machine will be taken off to get at the actual inner workings.  All the lint etc that collects in there is cleaned out and the bits that need it are greased.   Tensions, clearances and other settings are put back to where they should be.  If this isn't done on a regular basis, you run the risk of gears and bearings splitting and breaking.  Every two to three years is fine unless used an awful lot.  You should notice a difference if done properly.  It's always a good idea to ask what is covered in a service.  There can be a reason it's cheaper somewhere.

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 20:45:25 PM »
Yes I think it was Bob Green who serviced my machines last year @b15erk . He came to our local craft shop and I took them in there. He was very reasonable and they are all working fine.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde