The Sewing Place

Servicing your machine!

Renegade Sewist

Re: Servicing your machine!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 21:35:06 PM »
The reason for taking the new computerized machines in on a regular basis has less to do with the computer/electronics aspect, though they do need to be dusted and de-cobwebed on occasion, wires and motherboard checked, etc. It's that like on my Brother machine there are no user accessible oiling points. They use some sort of long wearing lubricant inside that needs replenishing on occasion. You need the tech who knows how to do all of that without damaging the electronics bits. The preventive maintenance part can be important on an expensive machine. Bad analogy: better to fix the small roof leak on the house then wait until the ceiling collapses in the kitchen. Much cheaper and easier and avoids really bad things from happening.

I found a really nice listing of what gets done when your machine is serviced. At the end there is a link to cleaning videos for many models of Bernina, Pfaff and Viking.

On the secondary topic of servicing your computer-it is a machine after all  :*- a computer absolutely should be getting regular servicing, both cleaning up data and maintenance of the hardware. Every 3 months is the recommendation, at least every 6. Anyone can learn how to do the file and program related cleaning or you can have someone come out or have it done remotely if you like. Having it done by a pro means they have experience & confidence in what they are doing and possibly better programs then we've downloaded for free. Cleaning up the hardware is important too. Someone trained in electronics knows how to safely open the case and ground both themselves and the computer so nothing gets messed up from electrostatic discharge. (That would apply to a computerized sewing machine as well.)

The first time I opened a PC tower I was surprised by all the cobwebs and, erm, cat hair inside. My web design teacher taught us how to do our own basic internal maintenance. My OH was amazed when I had both PC towers open and was moving RAM between them and adding more that I had purchased from a classmate. I felt omnipotent. I've cleaned up computers for a couple of people and trust me, if your 'puter is slow at all it needs a good clearing out. One of them the de-fragmentation program ran for  6 1/2 hours and he had never ever emptied the trash can, so everything was still on his computer including over 15,000 emails.
side note: CCleaner from CNET works nicely for a free cleaner. NAYY but a happy user.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.