The Sewing Place

Kids and theTavaro Elna (1940s grasshopper)

Roger

Kids and theTavaro Elna (1940s grasshopper)
« on: March 20, 2017, 14:08:19 PM »
Hi all,

A while back I got a Tavaro Elna and it's a really early one, they're super cute but the paint was falling off it in places and really rough in others, so I ended up cleaning it back to the aluminium in areas to make it useable.

https://db.tt/4DRkMCoa

The belt on it is a bit loose but it goes and is a lovely little machine.

My 5yo son has been asking to learn to sew for a while but I hadn't quite found a route in for him... but then  8) (no lightbulb) I thought we'd try the Elna.

It's very ideal for a little person, it's small, has a knee controller so he can sit at a table on a higher chair and reach it, even the slippy belt, as it slips at higher speeds, so prevented racing... It also made him be gentle with the controller. He could reach the balance wheel, the reverse switch and the presser foot lever.

He decided to make a little pouch for his sister for when she loses her teeth :) he was really pleased with it and so was she!

It's a bit wonky, and one of the seams is beautifully curved and it's all bit unfinished... but he did great :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

shadykittykat

Re: Kids and theTavaro Elna (1940s grasshopper)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 14:10:51 PM »
How sweet of him to make that for his sister, It's lovely, well done him  :)
Kate
Running, sewing, eating

Lantana

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 14:32:20 PM »
That young man will go far if that's his first project! What a thoughtful gift! Well done him and well done Dad for renovating the lovely old Elna. :)

L :vintage:

Vegegrow

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 15:43:55 PM »
 A fantastic tooth pouch well done him....( what is the going rate for the tooth fairy these days?)
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Roger

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 16:58:50 PM »
He really did do so well! Now she wants to have a go at making something for him... it's very cute!

Going rate for a tooth is apparently £2... I'm tight s it's a £1 round here :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

rowe1311

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 19:36:29 PM »
In Glasgow, a first tooth has been known to be worth a tenner!  Obviously my kids never received that, and we often forget to even give them a pound.  The magic of the tooth fairy disappeared when we forgot to put the pound under the pillow and my husband just grabbed his wallet in the morning half a sleep and handed it to my 6 year old child and said here you are.  She wasn't at all bothered it wasn't the tooth fairy, and just happy to get the money. 

With the kids I really like the hand crank, but they do sometimes spin it around fast, and I worry they might break it.  I am glad your kids are enjoying the sewing too. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 20:50:29 PM »
Nice machine - now I realise that funny metal bit at the front is the knee control, I'd often wondered what that bit was!