The Sewing Place

Sewing machines out of doors

Elnnina

Sewing machines out of doors
« on: June 29, 2018, 14:42:34 PM »
A couple of times I have read recently about people taking their machines outdoors in order to sew.  May I please give a warning.  I happen to have my instruction manual out for my Bernina Artista - they call this the Sewing Computer, and thought I ought to read the important safety regulations again as I have read somewhere today that again someone was taking their machine outside.

My instruction manual clearly says DO NOT USE OUTDOORS.

So please if anyone is thinking of sewing with their machine outdoors, please go and read your sewing machine manual - after all it is best to be safe than sorry and a hefty repair bill if insects or the like manage to fly into the vents on the machine.

By all means the good old reliable handcrank and treadle machines  are suitable for taking outside if you can carry them, but today's expensive computer driven machines are another matter all together.

sewingj

Re: Sewing machines out of doors
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 16:08:08 PM »
Going off on a tangent - this reminded me of my landlady in the 1970s who, at the slightest hint of sun, would haul her ironing board outside, plug her iron into a decidedly dodgy extension lead, and iron away happily - wearing an off the shoulder sun-top and with a fag hanging out of the corner of her mouth!

Kwaaked

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 19:57:37 PM »
I do sew outdoors, but since I only own manuals, I don't sweat it much.  And typically, it IS a handcrank I port to the great outdoors.

I do iron outside, though.  All my crap is right inside a barn door to do so.  Of course, then I got a professional set up and can't be bothered to really iron at home now.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 09:05:17 AM »
I have sewn outdoors but do understand the warnings .....

but I have now upgraded so much that I can barely lift The Splurgess onto the dining room table let alone through our small backyard and up a flight of stairs to the deck !!!

Hand finishing bindings etc, is another matter  :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 09:23:35 AM »
I have been very tempted to sew outside, but with the number of machines I now use, which one would I take out?

So, I brave the heat of the sewing room which is upstairs, and hope that it will sweat a few pounds off me!

The downside of sewing when the weather is so very hot, is that my hands are constantly sweaty, and no matter how careful I've been, the white shirt for Theo was looking decidedly grubby by the time it was finished!

I have ironed outside in the past, but again, these days, a steam generator is not so transportable as my old Rowenta steam iron!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 09:44:13 AM »
What!??! No more living on the wild side? Drat! I used to do this when the weather was nice, but it was a manual machine. Sturdy table, heavy duty outdoor extension cord, in fact, same one I use for sewing get togethers away from home. Haven't done it in recent years with the computerized darling. Mostly too lazy.

OK. I'll behave now. But I'm still keeping my cutting table on the front porch. So there! >:)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.