The Sewing Place

Janome HD2200

Snowgoose

Janome HD2200
« on: July 01, 2018, 18:02:27 PM »
What are your thoughts, please, on the Janome HD2200?  -<  I was saving for a Toyota Oekaki, but also like the Janome enormously because it's strong and simple.  Having had my desktop computer fail irreparably at just three years old, I am nervous of spending on a computerised machine  :(

I am looking for a machine for quilting, some dressmaking and for curtains, dog bedding and so forth.

Having let all my  :vintage: machines go, I am without a machine until later in the year and would like a new, shiny one  :D but it's a huge investment and I would be very grateful, please for any advice  8)  :flower:

Mr Twingo

Re: Janome HD2200
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 18:31:37 PM »
I understand your reluctance regarding computerised machines. Much as I like the many convenient features they have, I've read (today, in fact) that the motors tend not to be as strong as those in mechanical machines. How true that is, I don't know. For short runs, it probably makes little difference, but continuous heavy duty work rinks burning out a less powerful motor.

Regardless, I was in a similar position to you not too many months ago, trying to choose between several different 'heavy duty' machines. After a huge amount of research, I settled on the Janome HD5018 sold exclusively by Sewing Machines Direct. It is, as far as I can tell, identical to the Janome HD3000.

FWIW, the SMD Janome HD5018 is £50 cheaper than the Janome HD2200

I chose the Janome brand over others after reading about how well engineered the machines are, that Janome makes machines for many other brands, and seeing how generous the all-metal chassis is in the machines.

Good luck in making your choice.

PS What are the symptoms of your dead PC? ICT is part of my job, and I have fixed plenty of PCs in my time.

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 19:45:01 PM »
I agree with Mr Twingo. I have the 4618LE which is the same machine  as the 5018 but with a different number . Prior to that I had the My Style 18 or (3018) dating back to 1991 for 20 years. I honestly love the machine and was so glad I could replace the original with a machine I could just plug in and sew with.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 21:20:34 PM »
Another mechanical machine enthusiast here! I chose the Janome Excel decor 5024 from John Lewis . I've had it since 2012 and it's been great, never missed a beat and sews through multiple layers of tough stuff.

It looks very similar to Mr. Twingo's machine. When I bought it I was told that it has a more powerful motor than other similar machines and that the shop never sees problems with it.

I'd certainly recommend these machines. No LEDs, no bells and whistles, but they do the job.

[Just came in to sort out a wonky link... I'm going now... Acorn ;) ]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 21:31:37 PM by Acorn »

Mr Twingo

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 22:38:32 PM »
It looks very similar to Mr. Twingo's machine. When I bought it I was told that it has a more powerful motor than other similar machines and that the shop never sees problems with it.

They are pretty much the same machine, save for the different number of stitch styles. Janome seems to rebrand it's machines quite regularly, making only a few cosmetic changes. Decor Excel 5018, My Style 5018, HD 3000, HD 5000 (Canadian version of the HD 3000, I believe) are all nearly identical.

Great machines.

Snowgoose

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 16:57:53 PM »
Thank you so much for the replies  :flower: a huge help  :D I am hoping to get my new machine for the Autumn!  Now to find a desk to put it on, Argos or Ikea I hope will have something suitable.

@Mr Twingo my computer literally went bang and died! The computer shop said it was the power supply unit, and it can't be repaired, or anything salvaged from it :'( not sure if they were trying to sell me a new one??? 

Thanks everyone  :flower: Back to the packing boxes now, if I don't melt into a puddle first, it is so, so hot  :P