The Sewing Place

Recommendation for a 1st purchase cover stitch machine

annieg

Recommendation for a 1st purchase cover stitch machine
« on: July 01, 2018, 21:57:03 PM »
Can anyone offer advice on first purchase cover stitch machine?
 Thanks in advance.
Anniegg

crafter

Re: Recommendation for a 1st purchase cover stitch machine
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 00:14:24 AM »
I have the Janome CoverPro.  Its the only one I have every tried.  Bit tempermental - but maybe that's because I am a bit tempermental!

See if you can try it out at a dealers.  Although when I went into my local dealer they said no, because I would try it there and then go and buy online. 

There is no doubt that they give a really good finish that an overlocker cannot give.

maliw

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 07:44:22 AM »
I too have a Janome CoverPro, it took a bit of getting used to and I spent a while playing and making a note of various setting for different fabrics which has proved well worth it. There are tuts on YouTube that are useful - take a look.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Stitchalot

Re: Recommendation for a 1st purchase cover stitch machin
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 07:54:58 AM »
I have seen this question before and most people will say Janome Cover Pro because that is what they have and all they know and is the most widely available. I used to have one and was never happy, as Crafter says, very temperamental. I finally bit the bullet and sold it and bought a Bernina L220 and it’s a dream to use in comparison. It purrs along and gives dependable, consistent results. I’m so glad I made the swap. The looper is a bit complicated to thread but like all things gets easier with practice. So I usually knot the thread and pull through. A bonus with the Bernina is that is uses regular sewing machine needles.

Having said all that, I have a friend with a Janome who wasn’t happy. She seems to have resolved most of the issues with missed stitches by using wooly nylon in the looper.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 09:07:21 AM »
I have an Elna 444 which is a clone of the Janome Cover Pro, but being ex-demo from Sewing Machines Direct was £50 less than the list price.

As you all say it's a bit temperamental, but is getting better as I am getting more used to it.  I find that it doesn't like cheap thread, almost impossible to pull them through to lock off at the end, and it's necessary to go slowly over any seams to minimise the chances of skipped stitches.

Like a lot of people I guess, I went for the Elna (Janome) because of the price, but like most other things, you get what you pay for.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 09:29:43 AM »
My Coverstitch is the Pfaff.  It's the combi model, and I bought it some years ago.  I have to say I really like it.  The CS is a bit of a learning curve simply because it behaves differently to the overlocker, which many of us have had for a long time.

As everyone suggests, test driving one is the best way to buy, but failing that, do you have any stores which give demos?

It may be useful to look on Youtube for demos, so that you can gauge how noisy/ easy to thread/operate different models are.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieg

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 09:37:06 AM »
Thanks for your replies.  I'm hoping to go and test drive the Elna 444 and other machines at World of Sewing in Kent today. 
I'm fretting because I do have an Elna combi-machine but I really struggle with getting more than a chain stitch from it so I'm thinking of a stand-alone C/Stitch machine and revert the Elna combi-machine back to overlocker.
Can't help feeling guilty about spending yet  more money....

I'm hoping I can see a demonstration of how to convert a combi machine from O/L to C/S when I'm at the shop this afternoon. :D
Anniegg

crafter

Re: Recommendation for a 1st purchase cover stitch machin
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 09:44:49 AM »
I finally bit the bullet and sold it and bought a Bernina L220 and it’s a dream to use in comparison. It purrs along and gives dependable, consistent results. I’m so glad I made the swap.

Although I have the Janome, I live in hope for the Bernina.

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 09:59:04 AM »
Annie, the demo sounds an excellent idea.  I have been really pleased with my Combi, it does everything I want, but, I also have a separate overlocker, as I can then leave the CS set up.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieg

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 10:06:59 AM »
Any thoughts on the Juki 1500 cs?
Annie

annieg

Re: Test driving Cover Stitch machine
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 12:26:12 PM »
I went to World of Sewing in Bromley yesterday - very nice shop, parking on the front, and it was nice and quiet so the demonstrator was able to spend a lot of time with me showing me the difference machines.
I tried the Janome 2000 which was very impressive - my only concern is that is takes up a reasonable amount of workspace.
I also tried the Juki 1500 mcs which  looks more like an overlocker and takes up less workspace.  The Juki was a little tricky as it had just come back from a show and the looper tension was a bit tight.   
I thought the Juki had a better quality finish that the Janome but there wasn't much in it.
Having chatted through the options, the demonstrator suggested I put my Elna 744 in for servicing (deposit £40) which may solve the issues I'm having with getting it to do more than just a chain stitch.
If its found there's more of a problem with the Elna then the £40 deposit can be set off against the purchase of a new machine.
Managed to resist the serious urge to buy a new Coverstitch but I did spend a chunk of money on notions and quilting toys!! :D
Annieg

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 12:36:29 PM »
Sounds like a good deal Annie.  Either way, you'll get a working CS.

Jessie

annieg

bernina 900 dc
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 13:03:41 PM »
Does anyone know anything about this machine?
I have the opportunity to buy one from a shop with 2 year guarantee for £499.....
Anniegg

Efemera

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 13:24:37 PM »
There’s a FB group... they’re really helpful and knowledgeable
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Hilde.Coverstitch/

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 13:43:19 PM »
Annie there are a few videos on Youtube, but this article caught my eye.  Melissa Fehr, makes and designs activewear, so I think she knows a thing or two.

Coverstitch

I think what I've gathered is that you get what you pay for.  I found one video on YouTube for the Juki, and a few for the Janome.

Jessie