The Sewing Place

3 quilts on the go!

Sheilago

3 quilts on the go!
« on: July 02, 2018, 10:21:10 AM »
This is a first for me, I always like to finish one quilt or other project before I start another, but at the moment I have 3! I started a scrap busting log cabin quilt to use fabric before my sewing room got reorganised. Then someone asked me to make a baby quilt: no specific instructions- so I started a very bright half square triangle quilt. Having made the request I heard no more from them,despite texts, so now I’ve started an appliqué farmyard quilt for a friend’s grandchild. Hopefully I’ll soon get them all finished, but the weather is so weirdly good, I don’t want to miss it and my sewing room is so warm :D Maybe I’ll have to start a night shift!

Acorn

Re: 3 quilts on the go!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 15:23:07 PM »
Oooh, riches of quilting!  I'm looking forward to the pictures!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sakar

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 19:54:36 PM »
Just 3 projects?  :devil:

I have to admit, that I have lost the overview which projects are hidden in my big box  :P

Sheilago

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 23:14:05 PM »
Goodness me, Sakar, how do you manage all these projects with a new baby to look after? You are amazing.  In addition to the 3 , I just finished a cushion for a new baby, which is like a mini I-Spy quilt. Blanked out the name, but here it is. Occasional wonky quilting, but it was quite a rushed job for a friend. Lots of fun, got it done in one evening.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 23:21:28 PM by Sheilago »

maliw

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 08:51:08 AM »
I've just read this and you made me think. You aren't on your own, I have last years mystery quilt that still needs sandwiching etc, a quilt for DGS ( I've fallen out with it for now) and the Linus quilt so don't feel bad.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 01:37:39 AM »
that cushion is fab, I'd be extremely happy if I thought I could produce a quilted cushion like that (I can't quilt

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 07:25:47 AM »
@Surest1tch  What do you mean you can't quilt ????

Its just sewing, with an extra layer ... a WF helps plenty but for something like a cushion cover you certainly dont need one ... or are you confusing Quilting with those fabulous swirly patterns and feathers???

Quilting can be straight lines, crosses .... simple bimple .... and generally what my quilting amounts to.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 21:27:57 PM »
And so much easier than making  a dress! You don't have to make a quilt go round your boobs and other lumpy bits.  :D

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 22:32:55 PM »
Your cushion is great fun @Sheilago - I'd be delighted if I'd made that in one evening - it would take me weeks! :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 11:02:42 AM »
Me too Kenora. It takes me yonks and yonks to get a project finished and if I had more than just the one on the "go" I'd be sure to get into a fine mess!   I'm in a constant state of shame for my tardiness and in awe of those who seem to be able to juggle more than one WIP at a time.  Sigh......I must've been a snail in my previous life!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Sheilago

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 23:02:01 PM »
Here’s the first of the 3: a farm themed quilt for a baby girl from a farming family, based on Animal Whimsy appliqué design found on Pinterest. I backed it with dimple cuddle fleece ( have never used the dimple one before) so only lightly quilted it as I didn’t want to stitch and spoil too many dimples! Stitched in the ditch round the squares , then freemotioned round the animals , with simple fmq in the block squares.
Colour of the photo not quite true, but you can get the idea.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 23:05:56 PM by Sheilago »

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 05:51:17 AM »
You are clever Sheilago ... the lil girl is going to love it!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 06:20:38 AM »
Adorable!    :loveit:

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 10:09:16 AM »
Cute
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 19:19:44 PM »
Lovely quilt, @Sheilago - I like the way the animals' feet or noses extend beyond the borders of their individual squares. It gives it lots of character.  <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath