The Sewing Place

Lace To Overlay

Lolli

Lace To Overlay
« on: July 04, 2018, 15:34:07 PM »
I've been struggling to find a stretch lace in the design I want for overlaying a leotard. I've found one, have received a sample and have discovered it only stretches one way. Would this still be suitable if I attach it with the stretch going around the body or as it's being applied to lycra, will it need to stretch a little the other way too?

BrendaP

Re: Lace To Overlay
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 16:45:14 PM »
A leotard is usually worn for gymnastics, dancing, yoga etc; all activities in which the body needs to move in all directions and therefore there must be some lengthways stretch.

Have you looked at Tia Knight
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 18:10:47 PM »
Another vote for Tia Knight
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lolli

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 19:22:09 PM »
I have looked at Tia Knight but they don't have what I want unfortunately. I'm after black, lightly sequined and preferably floral. I've searched everywhere on the internet  :(

I may have to just buy the sequins and stick them on myself
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 19:31:20 PM by Lolli »

Lollipop

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 21:44:49 PM »
I wouldn't use it Lolli. You really need the lycra and the stretch net to stretch in the same way for a comfortable fit. Have you tried TrimIt they have bling sequin stretch mesh but it's pricey. I would use normal stretch lace and add sequins or stones.
Was Sewnanny

Lolli

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 21:54:18 PM »
I've looked at Trim-it too, no joy. I'll get some four way stretch from Tia Knight and add the sequins myself. Probably the safest option. Thanks all

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 00:48:26 AM »
I've had a lot of stretch lace from the chapel but the colours are pot luck of course. I like Trim It but their prices are a little steep for your first attempt or a costume that may not be worn enough to justify the cost. Have a look at White Lodge fabrics and Textile Express sometimes get interesting ones. Showtime Fabrics' lace is rather limited but it is stretch. I've had some nice ones from Tia Knight too.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Yellowfeather

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 05:48:32 AM »
I have used non stretch lace on leotards before.  You just need to put the leotard on a "body" and glue/tack the lace into place.  Then I take it off and sew the lace on properly.  It just doesnt look very neat when it is on a hanger.  Not sure if you are using it for Gym though, it might not last very long.

Yellowfeather

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 12:07:25 PM »
Lolly, how are you getting on with your leotard??  I have just finished a tutu with a stretch bodice and non stretch lace all over it, just so you can see it can be done :D

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 18:49:36 PM »
Oh my word, that is gorgeous

Lolli

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 08:32:35 AM »
Somehow I'd missed this @Yellowfeather, that is beautiful! I've gone with stretch lace in the end to be on the safe side, and going to glue the sparkles on afterwards  :D