The Sewing Place

Still struggling !

annieg

Still struggling !
« on: July 05, 2018, 08:15:32 AM »
The Bernina 009dcc arrived yesterday.
Carefully followed threading instructions from the manual but needle threads are breaking.
I've loaded big cones but I wonder if I should go with domestic size reels ?
The looper thread is absolutely fine.
Any ideas where I am going wrong?
Annieg (AKA  Despondent !)

maliw

Re: Still struggling !
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:39:37 AM »
Don't get down, it's far too soon and your new friend has only just arrived. Take a deep breath, sit down and start again, is there a problem with the needle tension? I know it took me ages to get to grips with my Janome. Is there a video on YouTube ? watch that if you can.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:44:39 AM »
Annie, it took me ages to get my head around my Pfaff.  Just be a little patient, and as Maliw says, watch videos, thread and re-thread, read your manual.

The one thing which stuck with me when I was failing to get a decent stitch, was that the handle had to be down - it goes across the tension discs on a Pfaff.  Also, make sure that your threads are pulled well down into the tension discs.  I put my finger firmly at the top, and pull down - it works for me.

Chin up, it is a learning curve.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »
If threads are snapping it sounds as though there is far too much tension somewhere along their path.

Rethread the machine.  Like regular machines the presser foot needs to be lifted whilst you get the thread between the tension discs.  Once threaded and the tension dials set to average settings, but before trying to sew, lift the presser foot and pull gently on each needle thread.  It should come through without much resistance - as on any machine.  If it doesn't then then you have to find where it is caught up.  If it does pull through OK then the problems are probably with the tension settings.

The big cones of overlocker thread are finer than regular all-purpose thread and therefore not as strong, but they are not that so weak that they cause problems.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 08:52:53 AM »
You have raised the thread stand I assume? Your problem sounds like what I find when I forget to.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 09:11:43 AM »
They are a steep learning curve.... I’ve been sewing for over 50 years and count myself experienced but the coverstitch nearly went out of the window on numerous occasions .... don’t give up, you’ll get there.

annieg

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 10:32:44 AM »
Thank you all for your encouragement.  I will try again and again and again and again until I master it!
Interestingly I didn't have the thread stand correctly positioned when I first tried it, but did re-position it correctly and thought that would solve the issues - but there's still problems.
The YT videos are good, but don't clearly show which thread goes through what part of the thread stand.

The stand is a Y shape with two thread hooks on the long end of the Y and two shorter hooks - one on each (left hand and right hand) end of the upper part of the Y. 
(If that makes sense... the Y is the shape if you are looking down on the thread stand.)

So - 4 hooks but only 3 threads.  (the 009 is a double cover hem; it does not do a triple cover hem).

I believe the looper thread goes through 2 x hooks : (1) bottom of long end of Y and (2) on the right hand short end of the Y.

The right hand needle thread goes through the upper part of the long end of Y.
The left hand needle thread goes through the left hand short end of Y.

If anyone is familiar with this thread stand shape and threading, I'd be grateful if they could confirm I've got this right!

I'll certainly look again at the tension disc threading.
Annie

annieg

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 13:41:30 PM »
Here's a pic of the first hem attempt ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 13:46:14 PM »
That doesn't look bad at all Annie.  What's the back like?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieg

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 13:52:33 PM »
Back is ok and no missed stitches.
I'll keep practicing!
Annie

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 13:55:55 PM »
Well done for persevering!!

Looks a nice stitch too - no missed ones!

Jessie