The Sewing Place

Burdastyle summer dress

sdBev

Re: Burdastyle summer dress
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 19:11:54 PM »
knowing how some issues can be for ugly patterns, ...
So true but then again there are issues I go back to over and over. An issue I love the most is several years old!

crafter

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 19:47:10 PM »
Lovely dress.  I used to subscribe to Burda, in fact my son has bought the subscription for me a couple of times for Christmas.

I think I may do again, especially as I am going to do more sewing for me.

I do find, though, that they are too big across the back of my shoulder.  Need to do a toile every time.

dolcevita

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 20:55:13 PM »
I find that Burda's sizing is really consistent and once I know the differences between their sloper and the real me, I can get away with the same adjustment all the time without needing a toile.  I invariably have to do a swayback adjustment and also one for sloping shoulders.  On tops, of course!

dolcevita

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 21:00:33 PM »
I'm just back from my holiday and I wore my navy print dress a lot - it was lovely and comfortable in the heat, especially with the silk lining.

I liked it so much, I've decided to do another one, but going for the full on groovy 60s vibe.  I picked this fabric up in fabricland a few weeks ago.  Aside from the very obvious pattern, it's tricky to describe; somewhere between a ponte roma and scuba is the best I can come up with.  Smooth but not as rubbery as some of the scuba fabrics I've come across. I need to check on the stretch to see if I can eliminate the rear zip, but the dress is more fitted than it first appears so I may put one in anyway.  I'd need to find a stretch lining to get rid of the zip and I'd rather use up some of the woven linings in my stash.

Prepare to be dazzled (sideways)!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 00:42:08 AM by Manuela »

Manuela

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 00:43:59 AM »
@dolcevita gorgeous polka dots, almost exactly what I was looking for last week - in cotton though.

I edited you post to embed the picture in the text, that way it isn't sideways  :)

dolcevita

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 06:50:40 AM »
Thanks, Manuela, they're quite a statement, aren't they?  I'm not sure what they're saying, but it's loud!

Umm, the picture still looks sideways to me, but the fabric looks the same.  I've never figured out why some images go sideways - another of life's mysteries to me, I'm afraid.

Tamnymore

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 07:32:13 AM »
Lovely dress and the polka dot version will be great too.

I see the Burda mag in the shops much more regularly now. It used to be difficult to find but even my local newsagent stocks it. I suppose that's the Sewing Bee influence.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 08:47:51 AM »
It's still sideways, but still gorgeous!

Look forward to seeing pics of it made up!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

jen

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 09:04:04 AM »
I love your first dress, and think your polka dot fabric will look stunning. Burda sizing has generally been consistent for me, but a couple of flops were jersey dresses, both of which came out huge. I don’t subscribe at the moment because I’m lucky to usually have several different sewing mags to flick through in the papeterie. I’m probably going to get the August Burda. Several commentators have said they’re unimpressed but I like several styles in there. One style on my like list is in plus size, I’ve successfully downgraded from Burda before where the plus size range has a low start, and I only had to move down a little.

dolcevita

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 11:21:42 AM »
Hi Jen,  yes, there is usually a much better choice of sewing magazines in France.  We frequent a small peninsula in Brittany and their tiny newsagent there is incredibly well stocked and usually has a choice of at least 5 sewing magazines.  I agree about the August issue, there are a couple of things in there that I have my eye on, too.  Is the plus dress the one with the herringbone pleats in the centre?  I thought that was lovely.

Although I end up making pretty much the same alterations to Burda patterns, I never take anything on trust and always measure the actual pattern pieces before I trace them off as their design ease can vary a lot.  I'm essentially a lazy sewer and would rather check everything at the tracing stage than mess around too much once it's under the machine.

Cutting out tonight, hopefully.

dolcevita

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 21:35:53 PM »
I really didn't think about this when I bought the fabric, but there's quite a large pattern repeat on this polka dot fabric and so I find myself spending the evening pattern matching for the side panels.  I wouldn't be able to live with it if I don't pattern match it, especially as it would be very noticeable on the high hip pocket line.  Do I want everyone's eye drawn to this area of my person?  No, I most certainly do not!

Here's one advantage of tracing out patterns.  To do the matching, I've just taken the side panel pieces, laid them on the centre fronts and backs where they will sit and traced over sufficient dots to allow me to then position the piece so that everything aligns.

Where the side panels are inset, the long edges of the centre front and back are faced to give a sort of flap.  Because of the pattern matching, I've decided to face them with plain black ponte to make life a little easier.  I've also eliminated both the centre back zip and seam as I'm going to use a stretch lining so there won't be any need for it.  I have, however, checked that I can get my head through it without the zip as it's a reasonably high neckline!

crafter

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 23:15:39 PM »
If I could just find the fabric of the original Burda dress, I'd kill to get that print.

Me too @Manuela.  If I remember from my sub days, they used to list the stockists of all the fabrics they used to make the patterns towards the back of the mag.  Might be worth seeing if you can view it online somewhere

I love that dress, but with biggish boobies and a short neck, I just cannot wear anything that high at the neckline.

Manuela

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 23:49:21 PM »
@crafter I bought the magazine on Ebay, it's on its way. Sadly, most of the time the stockists are in Germany....

Manuela

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 07:49:36 AM »
@crafter - the magazine arrived and the fabric source is mentioned as Selecta Com, an Italian wholesaler. The website they mention in the stockist list (www.selectacomo.com) can't be reached   :S
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:51:43 AM by Manuela »

countrygal

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 13:16:39 PM »
Oh this looks lovely!