The Sewing Place

Yes, the show will go on

MitchOfTheNorth

Re: Yes, the show will go on
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2018, 23:13:45 PM »
Good for you, Catllar!  Honestly, just apply the 20 foot rule - if you can't notice it from 20 feet away while they're moving, it's all good.  Or you could just tell her that fixing it would cost her 50 - that should take the wind from her sails!  Glad to hear that your other problem has decided not to perform.  Fortunately, most people are genuinely grateful - but still there are people who try your patience and goodwill.  One of my favorite's was the boy who forgot to say that he had lice when I was fitting a vest that tied at the back of the neck.  His vest went into my freezer for 2 weeks to kill the lice.  Just yuck!!!
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

fajita

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 07:56:53 AM »
Why the freezer? Headlice don't live more than 24 hours away from their host person.

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 00:03:15 AM »
Fajita, the guidelines from the local health unit at the time were to put in a plastic bag and freeze for 2 weeks any soft item that couldn't be washed.  I couldn't wash glittered spandex or I'd lose all the glitter.  And I had dozens of other costumes to make.  At the time, this community had a long time lice problem at the elementary schools - we're talking more than 10 years - I was not willing to risk passing it along to one other kid through my sewing room.
Stashbusting 2022

Catllar

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 20:41:01 PM »
Lice - yuck!!!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Catllar

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2018, 19:57:34 PM »
So I can deffo see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not an oncoming train. Just 3 more skirts to make and about 4 small alteration/adjustments.  So why am I not getting on to finish them.? Foot off accelerator big time - ho hum. Must talk strongly to myself - come on Jan tomorrow they will be done.

Catllar

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2018, 23:15:55 PM »
Yay, all done!! Had a show this evening so they got a first wearing and they all fit and they all work. Hooray.

Twan

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2018, 08:30:30 AM »
Congrats!!! I'm sure you're happy it's all done now :) Hope you got a good rest.

Yellowfeather

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2018, 11:20:57 AM »
Well done C, hope you get to enjoy a few weeks of doing your own thing now!!

Catllar

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2018, 23:53:27 PM »
Feel a bit lost now, truth be told - so I dug out an old frock of mine and revamped it to update it a bit.

Catllar

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2018, 13:31:46 PM »
Please miss, may I nail her to the floor???

I made a set of belts to finish the waistline of a set of 8 skirts. The fabrics were assorted but all in tones of navy, pale blue denim blue and white to tie in with the skirts. So I give them all out - Oo, they're great, thank you. Love the spotty one, can I have that one please?  etc etc.  On go the belts over the pale blue denim colour skirts - more appreciation from the group, most of them - can you guess what's coming? 

Quote: The white ties bother me - they're upsetting my feet.

Huh? 1) ties are at the back. 2) ties are less than a cm  wide and tie in a small bow.

What? How are they upsetting your feet, they're nowhere near your feet?

Yes but I know they're there and they're white.

Huh again?? What wrong with white, your blouse is white and there is white in your skirt.

Yes but not on my bottom.

Well take the bloody thing off then. :\ :fish:

Sewingsue

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2018, 14:15:07 PM »
No, Catllar, you may not  ><

Nail her to the ceiling - she would be too comfortable lying on the floor  :devil:
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

b15erk

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2018, 09:07:32 AM »
Shakes head in disbelief.....

What is she on at all?

:fish: :fish: :fish:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2018, 09:16:37 AM »
What age are these brats people?
Having costumed and choreographed and coaxed and persuaded hundreds of teens over twenty years, I've never come across the sort of behaviour you have to put up with.
I've compromised and tweaked but the final say was mine because I had the skills and the experience. If anyone had a better idea I was all for it but apart from that...
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2018, 17:35:56 PM »
Oh Catllar, what is wrong with some people?  She's thrown off by a small white bow on the back of her skirt?  I'm just contrary but next time I might be tempted to bring her a massive white bow to stick to her skirt.  Then, she should be distracted by it.  This problem requires more wine - and  :fish:.
Stashbusting 2022

Catllar

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2018, 20:13:20 PM »
Thanks for the support people! I had much red wine and the urge to nail her to the floor has passed. We got our own back in a minor way - shows how petty this has become: We will all be wearing shabby chic flowers in our hair - but what is this? We don't have enough for her, so she'll have to make do with plain  bright white ones - just a shame we can't pin 'em on her arse!  I'll keep the :fish: :fish: :fish: for Friday when we have dress rehearsal.