The Sewing Place

Slight rant...ridiculous request

crafter

Re: Slight rant...ridiculous request
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 19:58:08 PM »
If this is the bride, its probably the case that she has lost half a stone over the last week due to stress.

I am such a mug softee, that I would have gone and I would probably have charged my normal rate.

That is why I never made any money sewing professionally.

Bloobell

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 20:30:31 PM »
They weren't offering me anything for going and looking, just payment  if I did the alterations. I was right about the temperature making folk fractious. After all, we're bickering a wee bit on here, and I really didn't intend that, sorry everyone. I said they needed to use someone closer to eliminate the three hours of travel I'd accrue.

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 20:42:10 PM »
They weren't offering me anything for going and looking, just payment  if I did the alterations.

All the more reason for saying you did the right thing by refusing!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Samantha

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 20:42:26 PM »
@Bloobell if they weren’t offering to pay you for your time to go over there to see if you could help then they really do deserve all the comments on here  :fish: :fish:

Sewingsue

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 21:13:27 PM »
They weren't offering me anything for going and looking, just payment  if I did the alterations. I was right about the temperature making folk fractious. After all, we're bickering a wee bit on here, and I really didn't intend that, sorry everyone. I said they needed to use someone closer to eliminate the three hours of travel I'd accrue.
Now that was taking the proverbial.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 22:13:28 PM »
If they'd wanted it done, they should have come to you!

PollyWally

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 05:17:39 AM »
Surely in this digital age they could have emailed you some photos so at least you would have some idea what was required.

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 09:26:55 AM »
Bloobell, don't feel bad, it was an unreasonable request.  It would have helped had the message come from the person concerned - not the hotel. 

Even so, not your problem.  As someone said they could have offered to come to you.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bloobell

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 18:04:40 PM »
To be honest, I'd never agree to do work on a bridal party outfit in such a short space of time anyway, unless it was something super easy like re-sewing a dropped hem or fixing a missing hook and eye. Anything else would be too risky - I get really clumsy when I'm nervous and I really don't like to be rushed. The faster I try to go, the slower I am, because I make mistakes and forget things. All in all, this was one for someone with nerves of steel to survive the stress and bridal squealing, a workroom much closer to the hotel than mine and a neck with enough brass in it to charge the appropriate amount.

crafter

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2018, 22:57:51 PM »
I agree with @Bloobell.  In my bridalwear days  I always insisted on finishing the garments one month before the big day.  Call me over cautious but I had had enough of trying to work through flu, sprained wrist, sick children, etc. etc.