The Sewing Place

Knitting with Circular Needles

Sewbee

Knitting with Circular Needles
« on: July 08, 2018, 14:24:59 PM »
I badly needed something to do while watching TV and just mainly at home so I decided to knit a cowl. I haven't done any knitting for about 30 years so there's a bit of a learning curve here.

It's a simple cowl in garter stitch with a circular needle. First time ever for a circular needle. However, I am knitting it as if I were using normal needles because I don't know how to knit in the round and have it NOT turn into stocking stitch!

How do I do this for my next cowl?

Pearl

Re: Knitting with Circular Needles
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 14:37:11 PM »
Do you mean that you want it to look like garter stitch but it looks like stocking stitch because you are knitting every round?

To make it look like garter stitch you need to knit the first round and purl the next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lysW0LFoT_k

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 15:09:58 PM »
As Pearl says - and use a stitch marker to indicate where the round starts so you know when to change stitch.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sewbee

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 15:54:10 PM »
Thank you @Ploshkin and @Pearl

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 16:17:21 PM »
If you are knitting a tube (which a cowl is) with circular needles and you want it to be garter stith then then you have to knit one round, purl one round, and use a marker to know when to change. 

If you are using a circular needle to knit flat then you just turn the work (as you would with straight needles) and knit each row to get garter stitch.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.