The Sewing Place

Improving a RTW dress

datcat23

Improving a RTW dress
« on: September 15, 2018, 23:20:25 PM »
I will never understand the "throw the toolbox at it" approach to clothing production.  Just because you can add froufrou, doesn't mean you should. 

I picked this dress up off the 50% rack at a local plus sized store.  Its a good enough dress, fits ok I suppose.

Autograph dress by Dani, on Flickr

But, for some reason unknown to me, they felt it was necessary to add a completely redundant row of wide heavy lace to the lining, so that it was peeking out under the skirt.  Well not actually peeking, it hung down totally.  But why?  The edge of the embroidered mesh is lovely, and the additional lace made the entire skirt too long, unbalancing the whole dress.  On me the lace hit mid calf, which we all know is "frumpy old lady" territory.  Trust me, I do not need help to go there.

So today's upcycle consisted of cutting off the lace, and hemming the lining. Lace has been saved for another more appropriate project.

And the finished item on.  Now it hits at the knee, its more balanced in comparison to the top half, and I am more likely to wear it.  Win all round.  Apologies for the kids mirror selfie, it was a dog of a day outside. 

The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

SkoutSews

Re: Improving a RTW dress
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 10:00:17 AM »
That's a very successful 'tweak'.  The altered dress looks much lighter and, you're quite right, younger, than the original with that heavy black lace band.  The black lace band would drag the eye down and distract from the pretty mesh fabric.

Also you now have some lace trim for another project!  Win-win.

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 10:42:34 AM »
I agree the lace was unnecessary. The skirt edge is lovely without all that added on.

Sandra.
xxx

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 10:48:16 AM »
Yes definite improvement @datcat23 . Nice dress now!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Starryfish

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 11:32:54 AM »
That is a pretty dress, much improved by taking off the lace band. I know exactly what you mean by the mid calf "old lady" length.I am always trying to stay away from that without veering into "mutton" territory.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.