The Sewing Place

Featherweight, bout time you did some sewing

Yankee Doodle

Featherweight, bout time you did some sewing
« on: July 09, 2018, 16:20:04 PM »
Once upon a time about five or 10 or 15 years ago, I ran across the cutest little Featherweight.  It was so cute I set it on a shelf in my sewing room and admired it.  I've been admiring it for the last five or 10 or 15 years.   

So recently I've been working on a bag that required sewing in some hard to get to places and I was reluctant to put my highly computerised expensive new machine through the pushing and shoving and manipulations required, and that made me think of the Featherweight on the shelf.  So I got it down, oiled, greased, cleaned, and even waxed it.  It sews like a dream and did what I needed it to do on the bag and I  really love it and want to use it more.   

So my question is - where can I get a quarter inch foot for it?  So far I've only found them on US websites.  Is there a source in the UK?

Thanks,

Yankee Doodle

b15erk

Re: Featherweight, bout time you did some sewing
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 16:28:24 PM »
Have you looked at Helen Howes website?  I'm sure she will have one.

You have encouraged me to give mine an airing....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 16:31:29 PM »
Would any low shank foot fit? Jaycotts have the 1/4" little foot with the photo showing a screw on foot (though the notes refer to snap on feet). It might be worthwhile ringing them for clarification.

Alternatively, could you use the seam guide or is the existing foot wider than 1/4"?

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 17:49:35 PM »
You can get them here... I have one on one of mine...but I got it ages ago and can’t remember where :(

arrow

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 17:57:41 PM »
There are a few UK based sellers on ebay.uk, I'm sure Helen Howes has too. Most low shank feet should fit the old straight stitcher but a few times I have run into feet that misbehave with the narrower feed dogs. The US based Featherweight Shop has a selection of them, so I guess there's several to choose from.

I wouldn't push the small machine too hard in the long run, I think a 201 or 66 would be just as capable having the same narrow straight stitch foot. They are all flat beds with the same foot and feed dog dimensions? Either way, you notice when a machine is working too hard. Thinking about it; a freearm model can have advantages when maneuvering cumbersome angles, I guess a 222K would be the ultimate when it comes to narrow freearms. I often take out my old Bernina 730 when it's and advantage,and my Elna Supermatic takes the large size needles the old straight stitchers do. Generally I trust my 201 to stitch through heavier materials.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 18:19:24 PM by arrow »

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 18:03:09 PM »
Thanks for that, arrow.  I have a 201, too, bought about the same time as the featherweight and left unused just as long.  Initi that was the machine I was going to try to use but its electrical connection looks a little dodgy do I need to get it checked out before I try playing with it too much.  But I will!

YD

annieg

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 18:19:03 PM »
I'm ashamed to say my 222k is still tucked up in its case since I bought it 2 years ago...
I tried it when I got home and it worked perfectly and then put it away carefully. 
I think I'll take it out for an airing soon!!!
Annieg

arrow

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 18:23:31 PM »
Oh, yes, check the wiring and have it sorted out. I never regretted spending time and money on my 201, or my 99 for that matter. The 201 has surprised me a few times, very capable machine and a joy to work on. I can't say much about the Featherweights, I have just done a bit of test sewing on one. I like the early ones with the ornate faceplate, they look very good.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 18:25:04 PM by arrow »

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 18:29:51 PM »
I'd hoped the missus would have got my featherweight running by now...but it's gathering dust.  Ah well, it was still a bargain, so I can wait.  May have to get it done by someone else though...I'm certainly not competent!
C'est moi!

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 19:43:29 PM »
I'm ashamed to say my 222k is still tucked up in its case since I bought it 2 years ago...
I tried it when I got home and it worked perfectly and then put it away carefully. 
I think I'll take it out for an airing soon!!!
Annieg

Annieg, so many plans, so many projects, never enough time!

Joann

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 19:48:44 PM »
I'd hoped the missus would have got my featherweight running by now...but it's gathering dust.  Ah well, it was still a bargain, so I can wait.  May have to get it done by someone else though...I'm certainly not competent!

I got the featherweight going myself, but it only required some cleaning.  The 201 needs electrical attention.  I don't get electricity.  I  don't understand how telephones work either.  The world is a mystery, really.  Get someone else to do it and just have it be done.  Make it sew.

YD

DementedFairy

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 19:55:19 PM »
yeah this needs electrical attention and that's scary!
C'est moi!