The Sewing Place

New fabric shop near Preston

Kad

New fabric shop near Preston
« on: July 10, 2018, 19:08:20 PM »
I've just today discovered that there's a recently opened fabric shop in Great Harwood. It's called

"Fabric and Fent", - can't find a website but they apparently have an eBay shop. The shop/warehouse is open week days only so I feel that it's my duty as a forum member to go and investigate and report back regarding stock, prices etc  :devil:. Pity that it's not payday until next week
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Tamnymore

Re: New fabric shop near Preston
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 19:43:14 PM »
Yes please do have a recce and report back @Kad. I notice it has the magic word 'Fent' in its name.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Kad

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 11:31:10 AM »
Well as promised yesterday, I've been to visit Fabric and Fent of Great Harwood, nr Blackburn this morning and am pleased to report that it was a worthwhile trip :

Fabric and Fent,
2C Barnmeadow Lane
Great Harwood   BB67AB

01254 427880

Opening hours 09:30 - 16:00.   M/W/Th/F and 09:30 - 13:00 on Tuesdays

Parking on the quiet street right outside the door

They only opened to the public at the start of May this year.

Fabric inside is well organised on racks with each of the rolls having a label stating price, width, fibre content and a approx 5" square sample stapled to it.

The have upholstery and furnishing fabrics, fleece and faux leathers, Hessians, digitally printed velvet, linen and denims of various colours and weight, Yorkshire wool tweeds, polycottons and jerseys ( ex M&S ) and some lovely shirting weight pure cotton and more that I've forgotten.

Prices ranged from £1/m to £25/m for the printed velvet, with shirting cotton at £3/m, so it's well worth a visit as it's not far from junction 6 of the M65 and only a few miles from Burnley and it's sites of fabric temptation.

I did buy some fabric for a Vogue pattern that I've been thinking of making so a good mornings trip.

Oooops - forgot to mention that they have an eBay shop too, for those of us that live outside of Lancashire  0_0 and a remnant bin sold by weight.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 14:19:42 PM by Kad »

Lolli

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 14:10:57 PM »
That's great @Kad, thanks for posting   :D

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 14:30:23 PM »
Thank you @Kad for this! I think a visit may be in order..........
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 15:45:55 PM »
Thank you @Kad. Sounds like a day out then!
BTW do they have remnants that they sell by weight? - I think I saw a mention of that somewhere.

Kad

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 16:00:54 PM »
@Tamnymore , yes they do have a remnant bin that is sold by weight but I can't remember £/kilo, sorry.
This morning that bin had some decent sized pieces of faux leather, half Panama weave cotton and curtain fabric in amongst other bits I've forgotten too. Another part of their business is the making of dog bedding of all shapes and colours so you can even treat  :woof:

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 16:07:37 PM »
That's OK @Kad. Sounds like I need to visit. I  <3 rummaging in remnant bins!

crafter

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 22:38:20 PM »
Bit of background

https://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/couple-draw-on-family-history-of-weaving-to-launch-new-business-1-9160703

Why are all the good fabric shops up North?

I think I need a weekend away.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 09:01:09 AM »
I love rummaging in remnant bins!  I've had some real bargains too...

This isn't too far from me, and not far at all from DD's house.  Unfortunately, they don't seem to open at the weekend....

:'( :'( :'(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.