The Sewing Place

Anybody know anything about industrial machines. Need help

crafter

Anybody know anything about industrial machines. Need help
« on: July 10, 2018, 19:23:27 PM »
My husband has recently replaced the motor but I am now having problems with it running too fast.  Any comments?

Mr Twingo

Re: Anybody know anything about industrial machines. Need help
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 21:33:36 PM »
My husband has recently replaced the motor but I am now having problems with it running too fast.  Any comments?

What sort of motor? Servo or clutch?

Servo: small, compact, silent; runs only when needed.
Clutch: monstrously large, can be noisy; run all the time

If it's a servo, there should be a control box that allows you to set the maximum speed.

My money would be on you needing to change the pulley or add a secondary one. This video may help:
https://youtu.be/JbHj8pmL8EU

crafter

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 22:31:48 PM »
Thanks for your reply, @Mr Twingo

It is a clutch motor.  The machine is a 'Typical' machine, which is a Chinese knock off a Brother.  I bought it new about 8 years old and I used it perfectly happily until the motor burnt out.  That may have been down to the amount of heavy work it was doing.  Upholstery and curtains and some leather work.  I really didn't notice any different between it and the Brother I used to have so was quite happy with it.

When the motor went I did quite a lot of research on the web and found a company (in Manchester I think) who said they had the right motor for it.  Mr Crafter is an engineer (although not of sewing machines) and didn't see a problem with replacing it after he spoke to the provider I had found.

But now it goes at two speeds, stop and wizzing.  No variation for a slow start which makes it unusable.

Now that the football is over I can get him to have a look at the video, or does this just apply to a Servo motor?

Mr Twingo

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 22:50:45 PM »
As it happens, I was working with a clutch motor today, with a Singer 96KSV7 that came from Saville Row. As with yours, it is hard to control and seems to have the same two speeds.

There are a couple of things you can try:

First, try to increase the range of motion available on the clutch. See this picture: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KSNq17q7REwzNNi39 and tighten or loosen the nut.

Second, alter the length of the rods connecting the foot pedal to the clutch.

I think the first is the most likely fix.

Let me know how you it works out.

crafter

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 23:56:27 PM »
Thanks so much for your advice, I will try to get him onto it tomorrow.

crafter

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 12:33:55 PM »
Thanks for your help @MrTwingo but I would appear that nothing is working.

By adjusting the rods and the adjuster screw it seems that the arm only moves by a mm, maybe 2, to go from stop to full speed - nothing in between.

Do you think replacing the motor with a servo motor would do the trick?