The Sewing Place

Heylo! I'm Bjørn

Renegade Sewist

Re: Heylo! I'm Bjørn
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 01:52:57 AM »
Hello @Bjørn ! The international crowd keeps growing. You'll get lots of ideas here and lots of advice should you want it. Looking forward to seeing some of your cosplay makes. Anyone in particular you want to emulate?

@crafter , yeah, old. Think a lot of us could be his Granny. That happens more and more now.....
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bjørn

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 17:10:59 PM »
Sorry I make you feel old @Renegade Sewist . I promise it's not on purpose. :D But I must say it's a thing I enjoy, not to make you feel old, but that many here are older than me. I know from experience that most times talking to older and more experienced people is always fun. And I can learn lots too. So I think it's great actually :D

My first plan is to make V's jacket from Cyberpunk 2077. Yes, I know, quite the project for a starter, but I'm well aware I will fail several times before I really get it right. Plan to make a second one, without electronics inside, for normal wear too.
Spoiler: V & his Jacket from Cyberpunk 2077 • show

(Bit difficult to see but the demon/oni on the back, & and the inside of the collar light up. Therefore I plan to make one without electronics for normal wear too.)

In the future I may do a genderbender Seras Victoria from Hellsing. But I'll have to do some work till then, and not just sewing. 
Spoiler: Seras Victoria from Hellsing • show

Maybe something Viking-ish sometime. Not from the Series, just from the general theme.
But other than that, nothing planned yet. :)
At least no other cosplay.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 17:58:48 PM by Bjørn »
"What you can build with your two hands, no man can take away from you"

Lachica

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 20:05:24 PM »
I look forward to a detailed account of your progress. Especially with the lights, which I think you should definitely include.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 21:44:07 PM »
Sorry I make you feel old @Renegade Sewist . I promise it's not on purpose. :D But I must say it's a thing I enjoy, not to make you feel old, but that many here are older than me. I know from experience that most times talking to older and more experienced people is always fun. And I can learn lots too. So I think it's great actually :D

Ha! Wasn't you @Bjørn ,'twas being born in the 50's, or Mid Century Modern if you prefer. That is all the rage now after all.  ;)

Cyperpunk 2077 looks interesting. I really enjoy Dystopian future settings. Since CP2077 is set in the Free State of California and I live in what I call Middle California I'm liking the concept. The online description sounds pretty much how I imagine CA to be in 60 years.

V's jacket will be a fun challenge. I am always amazed at what cosplayers without much technical crafting or sewing background can come up with. Sometimes it's good not knowing what you don't know as it eliminates imagined restrictions. The experienced ones are mind blowing.

I'm sure you've seen what Maul Cosplay and his team have come up with for V. Wow.

As for the lighting, @Manuela recently made a dress with LED components and conductive thread. She's our resident expert on lighting effects and sources for supplies.

Looking forward to your progress.

Manuela

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 22:59:24 PM »
@Bjørn , there is no need to make a second jacket without LED lights for 'normal wear' (whatever 'normal' means  ;)). If you want to wash it/wear without turning the lights on, you could just take the batteries out. If you have a clearer picture that shows the lighting effect, please post it - I can then put my thinking cap on to suggest how to achieve it.

Bjørn

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 23:55:09 PM »
You're right @Renegade Sewist , there are so many possibilites when you have no clue what you're doing :D Naturally, having some expertise helps, but I wouldn't want too much of it before setting my own mind to work on how to solve a problem, or do a thing.

& Yeah, I've seen what Maul Cosplay has done and I'm somewhat jelly he/they got the chance to make one before the trailer launched. But then again he/they probably have good contact to CDPR, and he/they are quite well known cosplayers too. So not that big of a surprise.

Here's one with the lighting visible @Manuela
Spoiler: show

The idea I started out with was that I cut out the Oni/Demon Face, and glue in a clear plastic. Have to experiment a bit what I use for the coloring, maybe a layer of colored plastic on the inside, maybe some thin colored paper, maybe something completely different. Not sure yet.
My idea was to light it up with EL Panel / Backlight Panel, same for the collar.

And yeah, I thought about making the power source removeable, wanted to see if I could use a powerbank as supply so it'd be easily rechargeable too, and could be multifunctional.
But I for now am not yet wholly sure how the comfort of all those electronics in the jacket would be, so for that I made myself mentally ready for making a second one without the light, where I wanted to simply sew the Oni/Demon out of cloth and then onto the back.

But if you got better ideas for it, I'm always happy for suggestions :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 00:01:37 AM by Bjørn »

Manuela

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 00:13:08 AM »
@Bjørn - that lighting effect is a completely different ballgame to what I did, not sure how to get about this. But I'd still think you'd only need to do one jacket, if you use a removable power source.
If your power source is a bit too bif for every day comfort, you could play around with the idea of adding a pocket inside the jacket to store it.

Bjørn

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2018, 04:37:53 AM »
Hehe, no worries @Manuela . Thanks for giving it some thought tho :)

And yeah, having an extra pocket for it is a good idea

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 05:56:20 AM »
You're right @Renegade Sewist , there are so many possibilites when you have no clue what you're doing :D Naturally, having some expertise helps, but I wouldn't want too much of it before setting my own mind to work on how to solve a problem, or do a thing.

BTW, I didn't mean to suggest you have no skills or expertise, so wanted to make sure you weren't thinking that. I have seen some amazing first/early projects from cosplayers who have never sewn and done little or no craft work prior to setting off to make a favorite character come to life. It is so refreshing to see. Since they don't know the "rules" for whatever media they are working with they tend to be results oriented rather than sticking to doing things properly. The ingenuity of how some costume are created is a blast to follow along with.

Bjørn

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2018, 15:41:36 PM »
No worries @Renegade Sewist , didn't take it like that, just maybe phrased my answer a bit easily misunderstandable. For what I meant is exactly what you mean too. That as someone who learns a skill kinda by yourself instead of having a 'proper' education in it, you might think of solutions someone with that education wouldn't have thought of, because they've been spoonfed how to do it 'the right way'.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2018, 19:37:24 PM »
Exactly! Add in how ready to brainstorm and share information with each other cosplayers are and it's quite a creative opportunity.

At university I had a technical illustration teacher spend well over an hour teaching us how to properly wash our brushes then supervised us in groups of 3 cleaning our own to make sure we did it right. Good brushes can be extremely pricey. It's actually a skill I still use, but it's also a bit overkill.

Hmmm.....It sounds a bit like I'm a dinosaur reading that. That class would be using CAD and an illustrator program now.  ;)

Bjørn

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2018, 15:01:06 PM »
Have been interested in Dinosaurs for as long as I can remember :D

You're probably right, in such classes it would be more common to use CAD and Photoshop or similar programs, but then again I think there still are classes for real painting. After all, at least in my opinion, doing things non-digital still has something to it that the digital way doesn't.
Like taking notes, writing letters, making mindmaps, or scribbling.

And I'm sure Bob Ross has inspired quite a few people of my generation to paint with brushes too :D

Sewingsue

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2018, 16:44:14 PM »
,'twas being born in the 50's, or Mid Century Modern if you prefer. That is all the rage now after all.  ;)
Oh, I like the idea of Mid Century Modern (haven't come across that expression before).
Unfortunately I'm probably too old to qualify - born mid 40s.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bjørn

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2018, 17:10:58 PM »
Could upgrade the term to 'Pre Mid Century Modern' @Sewingsue :D