The Sewing Place

What Machine should a newbie get?

Bjørn

What Machine should a newbie get?
« on: July 11, 2018, 10:40:24 AM »
Hey

I'm new to sewing, and wanted to get into it buying a used machine.
I know from what I call 2nd hand experience, meaning what I hear from people I talk/listen to, that in most cases older machines are more reliable. No matter if it's cars, lathes, or bandsaws. I was wondering if that's the same for sewing machines too? I've recently seen some old machines from Singer, Husqvarna, Pfaff, & other manufacturers on the norwegian version of ebay, which all seem very alike, at least from their chassie (sorry if that's the wrong term, not fully into the lingo yet).

(some are with motors too, but they all look basically like the one in the picture)

I was wondering if it'd be recommendable to get one of those, or rather something newer which maybe has a few more functions.

[EDIT]
I don't want to do leather. At least not for now, that'll be something further in the future. For now the thickest I'll be going is denim, haven't looked into that many patterns yet but I guess up to 3 or 4 layers.

It'll for me mostly go into clothing, for normal wear, but also for cosplay. So pants, jackets, probably hoodies or sweaters too. As far as I've understood that includes quilting, buttonholes, stretch stitches, straight stitches and probably some things I overlook right now.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 00:36:48 AM by Bjørn »
"What you can build with your two hands, no man can take away from you"

Greybird

Re: What Machine should a newbie get?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 12:02:41 PM »
I second that. You will be limited as to what you can do without at least a zig-zag stitch. You don't need loads of embroidery stitches. You need a machine with a strong motor and Husqvarna machines are ideal. Make sure you buy it from a dealer who can assure you that it has been fully checked over and serviced. Happy sewing!

arrow

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 12:24:37 PM »
The old cast iron machines are straight stitchers, some models had reverse lever before 1900. Singer gave their new model 201 a reverse lever in 1928 (ca), and updated their old model 15 with the same feature around the same time. You posted a picture of an early version 99, this model was given a reverse lever some time in the 1940s, at least in the US. If you happen to have a 99, remember you can always turn the fabric for reverse ;- )  . The Singer machines we get here are usually made in Scotland, and I have seen the backtack lever on the 99K from around 1950. The 99 is a 3/4 size machine, the 15, 66, 201 are some of Singers full size models.

There are a few Husqvarnas that were based on Singer's model 15, they were gradually developed and given reverse lever, feed dog drop on the bed, thread tension in front (in stead of on the side). The modifications were considered improvements and over the decades the differences became more distinct. Husqvarna 12 and CB-N turns up now and then, and about the same for Pfaff 30 and 31. There are a lot of old sewing machine brands.

Reliable old cars I'm not sure about, but the old cast iron straight stitchers generally are,, easy to give a DIY service and they have some advantages. When fixed up they will serve the owner a long time. Expect a bit of cleaning, oiling and tending too if you aquire one. I bought a 201K in a table and it has  become a favorite. Some like hand cranks and treadles, but I have to admit, I bought one with light and motor and had it rewired. They will do the job in 2018 just as well as any, even better at times.

The cast iron models are all metal, gears, hinges, rods are made of hardened steel. It makes them very durable and most machines have very little wear. Almost all zigzaggers have plastic gears, and it is a bit more work to replace them if they are cracked or missing some teeth. If you find a Singer 401, it is an all metal zigzagger with various stitch patterns.

If you want to sew stiff, heavy leather and old type sail canvas you need an industrial model suitable for the job, but for most jobs you can get by with a domestic machine. Soft leather, sunbrella and the light polyester canvas types used today are no problem. It depends on what you are sewing, they behave very well with fine and sheer materials too.

The only thing they don't do is zigzag. There are buttonholers for them, blind hemmers, all kinds of accessories and even zigzag attachments. I keep a freearm zigzagger on the side, it's much easier. There are plenty of swing arm zigzag models from 1950 and up, only a few early models have stretchy stitches. By the early 50s nylon was the new thing, and a lot of models have some plastic gears. Some models like Berninas and Elnas are still very durable though and worth the effort of replacing a cracked gear. These are still some of the best and easy to use zigzagges. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:34:50 PM by arrow »

annieg

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 12:48:41 PM »
If you can find an old Bernina at a good price - then that would be a good choice.
Bernina's are very well respected and have a fantastic reputation for reliability, which is why there is a strong second-hand market for them.
Annieg

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 12:49:21 PM »
I have quite a few of the old Singers because I like them.  They are excellent straight stitchers, and with a special attachment they make beautiful buttonholes.

You may like to consider a Bernina 730/830, which are a very solid machine, and have embroidery stitch options.

For dressmaking and overlocker/serger may be on your list, and also a coverstitch machine if you sew with stretch fabrics.

Good luck, I will be interested to hear about your new machine!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 13:52:29 PM »
I use an old Singer 201 from choice when it's only straight stitching that's required, but I have a more modern (20 years old) early electronic machine for the times when I need zig-zag or stretch stitches.

There are lots of old threads on here about the various vintage machines - and Arrow, in Norway, who is geographically the nearest to you, is very knowlegeable.  Old Singers (not modern ones) are generally very reliable and sturdy.  The old green Viking/Husqvarnas are good too.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bjørn

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 15:49:44 PM »
Oh wow, that was more & faster than expected :D

thanks for all the answers, sounds like it'll probably be an older (post-1950) machine for the start as kind of the main workhorse and then I'll get myself a more modern one for the more... 'fancy' & probably less used stitches later.

I'm educated in both electrics & mechanics so I think fixing one of these older machines will be little to no problem, and I do actually look for machines that don't work properly too, because I found out that often times the fixes are quite simple.
And yes, naturally the older machines need some care & love, but I do a cleaning and caring of most things I have once or twice a year, and I don't plan on leaving my sewing machines outside of that loop.

And again, thanks for *all* the help.  <3

Edit: Just noticed that sounds a bit to much like... "thanks for the help. bye." so no worries, if you have more advice I'll be checking in here as often as I can.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 15:52:14 PM by Bjørn »

arrow

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 16:04:24 PM »
I can recommend any 201 and 15, the stitch length lever with reverse is easily noticed; the other version have a turn knob or sort of a nut and bolt adjustment. Pfaffs and Husqvarnas seems to have incorporated true reverse abit earlier than Singer on their various models.

On the pluss side there's lots of help and info to be found when fixing up old machines; for many models the electrical ciruit diagrams are available, as well as service manuals, parts list, etc. Generally you get by with the user manual.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 19:51:50 PM »
Can I put in a shout for late 1970's Singers?  They were zig-zag machines with, and this is the real advantage, free arms, so cuffs become so much easier.  The 522 and associated models are still around and they are cast metal bodies with metal chassis so are reasonably robust for coating and heavy velvet.  I think they would struggle with leather, though!

SkoutSews

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 20:04:05 PM »
I had one of those late 70s Singers. They are tough and go for very little money now. They have the stitches you'll want. Mine didn't have an automatic buttonhole stitch though. They had to be done using the zigzag stitches and careful measuring!

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 09:14:09 AM »
I have the Singer 611g which I can highly recommend.  It's a slant shank, a forerunner I believe to the Touch and Sew?  It's and excellent machine, and with the buttonhole attachment, it does just about everything I need. It also does a chain stitch.

My favourite machine though, is my old Pfaff 1475 cd.  One of the first computerised machines, and such a workhorse.  The computer bit adds consistency to stitch length, width and patterns which is the only thing lacking on the 611g. 

I use both regularly.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 09:34:51 AM »
Bjorn, as a young man (yes Girls we have one, now don't all stampede at him at once)
What sort of sewing are you hoping to get into ... that will very much drive the direction of what machine with which features you should be looking at!

Myself, I'm from The Darkside so really can only hope to help you in that respect, but I haven't picked up any Darkside keywords so Im getting the feeling you are heading for the Lightside ... and there are many, many Lightsiders well qualified to help you over there .... Enjoy x

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bjørn

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 00:30:55 AM »
Sorry @Iminei , you're right, should maybe add what sewing I want to do.

I don't want to do leather. At least not for now, that'll be something further in the future. For now the thickest I'll be going is denim, haven't looked into that many patterns yet but I guess up to 3 or 4 layers.

It'll for me mostly go into clothing, for normal wear, but also for cosplay. So pants, jackets, probably hoodies or sweaters too. As far as I've understood that includes quilting, buttonholes, stretch stitches, straight stitches and probably some things I overlook right now.

Hope that helps  :)

And whats that about the Dark Side @Iminei ? I heard they have cookies over there :D

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 06:53:03 AM »
And whats that about the Dark Side @Iminei ? I heard they have cookies over there

Yes ... Yes we do and big ovens in which to bake them .... just walk into the dark woods and follow the trail ..... :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 09:03:13 AM »
For now the thickest I'll be going is denim, haven't looked into that many patterns yet but I guess up to 3 or 4 layers.

If you are sewing denim it's likely that you'll want tp do flat felled seams which means three layers.  Two of those crossing on a plain seam means three layers and two flat felled seams crossing with another flat felled one means nine layers.  With almost any machine you will need to coax it over that crossing.  The sturdier vintage machines will cope with denim and other tought fabrics.

So pants, jackets, probably hoodies or sweaters too. As far as I've understood that includes quilting, buttonholes, stretch stitches,

Quilting (usually) only needs straight stitching, so a vintage straight stitcher would be fine and the buttonhole attachments for those machines make excellent buttonholes, better than a lot of modern machines.

But stretch stitches .......
Stretch stitches were introduced in the 1960s (?) to cope with the new stretchy fabrics which were becoming readily available.  Some machines from the late 1960s and 1970s can make the two forward-one back type of stretch stitch.  The same machines will also have a variety of zig-zag stitches.

If you are seriously thinking of being able to make things like sweatshirts, tee shirts, jogging pants etc using stretchy/jersey fabrics my advice is to save up for an overlocker to go with your regular machine.  It's a doddle to run up a tee shirt with an overlocker, and the overlocker is also very useful for neatening the seam allowances on any fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.