The Sewing Place

What Machine should a newbie get?

arrow

Re: What Machine should a newbie get?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 13:18:39 PM »
But stretch stitches .......
Stretch stitches were introduced in the 1960s (?) to cope with the new stretchy fabrics which were becoming readily available.  Some machines from the late 1960s and 1970s can make the two forward-one back type of stretch stitch.

Elna Supermatics had this type stitches in 1952, I think they were the first. Their double layer cams still sell for high prices on ebay. There's a few brands that added this feature to their models by the mid to late 50s; Adler, Gritzner, Phoenix, maybe a few Pfaff models (most didn't). Husqvarnas generally have them them from the mid 60s, some Singer models from the 70s have them. These days most basic models have a few built in stretchy stitches.

SkoutSews

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 16:44:23 PM »
My old machine was a Singer Capri 163 like this one. It was bought new in 1977 and had a stretch stitch, which to be frank was not much good. All the other stitches were great though and it was very fast, the fastest machine I've ever used. A machine like that, but with a buttonholer, and an overlocker for stretch fabrics would see you right.

arrow

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 18:00:37 PM »
I have sewn cuffs on to jersey with a fleecy back side and I have pieced together a T-shirt on and old Elna Supermatic. Some of the single needle stitch patterns work well for this. There's a lot of cams available for the Elnas, if you have a particular pattern in mind the cam can be search up. They are stretchy enough for this purpose, other patterns make the seam firm and strong. You don't get the same stitch patterns as a two needle overlocker, neither as wide, but it often works well. If you need the wide over lock stitch, it's either a two needle overlocker or a new machine with 9 millimeter zigzag.

Marniesews

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 19:43:53 PM »
If you are seriously thinking of being able to make things like sweatshirts, tee shirts, jogging pants etc using stretchy/jersey fabrics my advice is to save up for an overlocker to go with your regular machine.  It's a doddle to run up a tee shirt with an overlocker, and the overlocker is also very useful for neatening the seam allowances on any fabric.

I really do agree with this if you're wanting to sew a range of knits. You can sew knits on an ordinary sewing machine, although my old Bernina needed a walking foot to do it adequately but an overlocker makes a world of difference for both ease and finish quality. A higher spec overlocker as a used buy is a really good proposition too as they are tough mechanical machines that can go for decades. On the other hand if you really don't want to buy a used machine, Brother make basic machines at a very reasonable price, their lowest priced machine is under £200 and their top of the range machine is under £400.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Bjørn

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 23:49:58 PM »
Just so it's said, am not limiting myself to older machines. Just thought those would be a good choice for a beginner since they're (probably) not overly complicated, (probably) more reliable & (probably) a bit more affordable.

Am about to pick up a Brother BC2100 in a few weeks, and from the manual that can do stretch fabric, buttonholes, quilting & thicker fabric. Tho it doesn't say how many layers.
"What you can build with your two hands, no man can take away from you"

arrow

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 00:13:46 AM »
Next to a Brother BC2100 you will absolutely love a flat bed Singer 201 (I promise), and there are nicer options among freearm zigzaggers than the Brother. It does have some handy stitch patterns though.

The advantage with the something like a 15 or a 201; endlessly more solid and sturdy; very smooth running, will sew well with top stitch thread, extra strength as well as sew-all weight and lighter. Everything has been mentioned already, you will notice once you have tried them yourself. My 201 is a joy to work on regardless of what I have compared it to.

There's lots of nice sewing machines, old and new, the advantage with the older is the quality you get for much less. The old straight stitchers are in a leage of their own among domestic models.

Bjørn

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 18:17:36 PM »
Definitely plan on getting a 201 too @arrow , just having the problem of distance, since I don't own a car & I don't want to risk sending one of those machines in a package, I gotta find one that's near me.

arrow

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 21:39:22 PM »
Yes, buy locally, it's safter. With a bit of patience, these models should turn up most places. Maybe you can get someone to drive you, they are heavy.  Sometimes they turn up in a small table or cabinet. If you happen to find the black cast iron type get wheel cart, trolley bag, something with wheels (seriously). You can carry these machines to the car outside the house, maybe to a bus stop near by, but not particularly far down the road. A bag with wheels makes it easy. The beige aluminium version is just as nice, but has the advantage of being within carry weight. The older bent wood cases are nice too, but be careful with them, don't lift it from the handle in the top cover, it will not hold up long. There are grips under the base, on each side meant for lifting and carrying.

Bjørn

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 05:59:43 AM »
Yes, I don't plan on carrying it all the way. Got both Longboard & Bicycle with Luggage rack.

And after a particular shaping experience with heavy things with a handle (I held an old toolbox by it's handle, that ripped of, and the toolbox fell on my foot (luckily I was wearing steel toe work boots)) I'll always think about holding onto that handle twice in the future.

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »
The older bent wood cases are nice too, but be careful with them, don't lift it from the handle in the top cover, it will not hold up long. There are grips under the base, on each side meant for lifting and carrying.

Which no-one told Ms Winslett ....

Though judging by the ease with which she seems to be managing both her Singer and her luggage, she must have a pretty hefty workout schedule!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lizzy777

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »
Or maybe the suitcase was empty and the sewing machine case was minus the sewing machine? I can't believe she would be carrying that weight for a film  :)

I never knew that about the handle though. I haven't seen one of those close at hand since I was little and my Mother had one. They look good though don't they?

Lizzy
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 09:35:52 AM by Lizzy777 »

Bjørn

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2018, 19:25:19 PM »
Update:
The Brother machine got taken before I could get it.

Instead I found this darling through some luck.  :loveit:

After a tad of research since I have it standing beside me I found out it's a Singer Model 15K from 1936 (S/N AE461000).
It does need some love (which it'll get lots of) and a new pedal, but else it looks good to me. The mechanism works smoothly, the belt feels & looks good, and the cables look good too and aren't crumbly. Really just needs a bit of dust removal. Tho I think since I'll be taking it apart quite a bit for that I'll also mod it a bit while I'm at it and remove the lamp since I neither need it, nor do I know where I would find such lightbulbs (other than ebay maybe). But I got a wonderful LED working light anyway, so as I said, no need for the standard light. 

And I should've taken yinz advice to not carry it all the way home. My arms are burning, but I'll (probably) remember that the next time I'm about to carry a 15kg sewing machine 2,5 km :D

arrow

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2018, 00:15:55 AM »
Very nice find! I wish my 201 had the earlier type chrome plates. The later version had embossed stripes in stead of the art nouveau decor.

The Singer lamp is nice, keep it, I promise. Order a LED bulb with a B15 socket (the most common by far on these Singers, but E14 and E27 are known to exist). I have the same lamp on my 201, the LED  bulb is nice. I think this is the max Wattage for the narrow light bulb type. If you have the lamp with the large lumpy glass lens LED is a must to prevent overheating. Be careful and only turn the light switch clock wise or it will get damaged. If you have the narrow type with out a lens it's not an issue (it has a left-right position switch, not turn-switch). You will find the B15 bulbs in sewing machine store, Clas Olson used to have them, but I have yet to find the long ones with the most amount of yellow square LED patches.

The cylinder shaped capacitors with wiring comming out needs to be removed. The are always in bad shape. You can replace them if you want to, but it's not essential. They are there to prevent static interference on TV and radio signals. Equivalent signals are better protected these days, but there are some reporting they have noticed interference on phones, TV and wifi. I have had my laptop next to my 201, and notice nothing at all. If you have wires going into the small compartment to the right on the case it has a knee lever controller (under the black metal cover). If it's empty I guess you need a pedal with a three prong plug (either flat or round pins).

I have a 99K with knee lever speed controller, it works fine. It was rewired a few years ago, the wiring was cloth covered and the inner rubber was stiff and crumbling. The capacitors went out a bang before I had it rewired. My 201 is probably a converted treadle machine, and has a black button type bakelite controller (pedal). You will quickly adapt to either type. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 00:33:32 AM by arrow »

Bjørn

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2018, 21:35:59 PM »
Well ok, I'll look into finding a LED Bulb for it, but only if I find a white one (~6000K). Don't like the yellow tint.
No worries about the light switch, it's a toggle switch, so nothing I can do wrong there. (other than maybe break of the lever :D )

Thanks for the tip about the capacitators, gotta look into what exactly they are for (like, in electrical lingo (i'm a trained electrician btw, did I mention that?)) and see if I replace/keep them or remove them. Got some delicate and expensive electronics here I don't wanna risk frying.

And thanks for the tip about the knee lever too. Hadn't had the time to look into the manual yet, but I did notice that hole and at first thought it was to lock up that lil compartment with a key. But I'll need a cable with a footpedal anyway since there is (at least I don't see) any other way to connect the machine to electricity.
The plug has round pins, but I think that won't be difficult to find. The bigger problem seems to find one with a Europlug. Worst case I'll just buy one with a NEMA connector and switch it out with a Europlug.

But as said, the machine needs some love first anyway, so I'll have a look through both the normal manual, and the service manual, and get it cleaned up a bit :)

Oh and another Update :D

Spoiler: show

(modelnumber is probably a bit small in the piccie, it's a 6010)

Got a machine for the more advanced stitches like buttonholes & such too. Both at great prices actually, 20 bucks for the singer, 20 for the Husqvarna.
This one actually came with all cables included and works fine. It sometimes doesn't wanna get going when I start slowly, but I'll find a way to fix or go around that too.
And it'll naturally get some love and care too before it comes into use.
Thing is I now know what I completely forgot. I need some fabric and thread too before I can get going :D

SkoutSews

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2018, 21:49:26 PM »
That's great, Bjorn, looks like you're sorted.

From personal experience, get rid of the capacitors.  They'll just cause trouble - sewing machine running away on its own sort of trouble.  Which then bungs up the bobbin race, which knocks the timing out.  All they did was prevent old sewing machines interfering with 405 line VHF televisions and radios ("Mum, Mum, stop sewing, the TV's gone all fuzzy!").  It doesn't happen now.