The Sewing Place

Threads Magazine - hard copy?

sewingj

Threads Magazine - hard copy?
« on: July 11, 2018, 13:58:46 PM »
Is it possible to buy Threads as an actual magazine in the UK rather than the digital version?
 I am having a few problems with my eyes and find reading on the comuter quite uncomfortable at times.  I have gone to their website and clicked on "Buy this Issue" and "Subscribe" but get the message that my request has been rejected.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Threads Magazine - hard copy?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 14:48:07 PM »
Yes I have a subscription.  Have done for years.  Can't understand why it won't let you as they go all over the world.  What have you done to upset them sewingj? :)

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 14:52:28 PM »
I`ve taken Fran`s advice and I can get a subscription via the WH Smith website  - £40 for a year
@Ohsewsimple   do you think it is worth it? I have bought a couple of sewing magazines recently and been very disappointed with the content - too many adverts and too basic for me

I doubt if my local WH Smith keeps it and it would be a pain in the neck going into Stratford just to buy a copy (no parking!)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 14:55:24 PM by sewingj »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 15:03:24 PM »
@sewingj I certainly think the magazine used to be better and have more pages.    And I wouldn't waste my money on anything produced here.  They always seem too basic, simple and very often full of wrong info. 
The 'too basic' complaint is something I agree with and Threads does seem to have some basic content in there.  If you can find a recent copy it will give you some idea of what you're going to get.  I have considered cancelling mine but it's the only mag I have.  I have loads of them and often find I will pull them out and go through them again for inspiration.  Or I will seek out an article on a particular technique and re read. 

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 20:13:19 PM »
I seem to recall a discussion on the old place about Threads having dumbed down.  I agree with @Francesca in only buying specific issues.

crafter

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 22:15:56 PM »
You should be able to get Threads by putting in an order with your local newsagents.  That's what I always did when I took it.  Did the same with Burda.  The problem arises if they are distributed by a distributor that they don't use as that costs them money in delivery.  I never had a problem though.

I liked Threads (and Burda) but cancelled them when I had a stockpile going back years and was on an economy drive.  Past copies have gone in the bin  Some (Burda - in German) went back over 40 years.

Now I am more likely to take Sew Today.  Probably the nearest thing to Threads in the UK.  Good features and a chance to see the latest patterns from the big three made up.  If you buy a couple of patterns a month you can end up making a saving equivalent to the magazine cost due to their discount scheme.  They are also extremely helpful if you ring them wanting a pattern urgently and can often get them the next day if you are a subscriber.

I do not work for them by the way. :D

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 22:35:07 PM »
I'm glad this topic's come up, I was thinking about ordering it as most of thier books are pretty good but now I've seen your comments I'm not going to bother.

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 08:03:48 AM »
You can download FREE past issues from here.  The search function is not the best and you won't necessarily find a specific or very recent issues, but it's worth a look.

maliw

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »
Thanks for the link UR, I had a quick look and there are some useful magazines if you have the time to scroll through. Have bookmarked for future reference.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Tiggy

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 17:57:56 PM »
I kept getting emails from Threads offering hefty discounts on a subscription.  So I took them up on it. Surprise, I was not eligible because I don't live in the USA.  I did contact them regarding this, because should they be sending me offers if they can't uphold them?  Anyway, I decided to remain digital.

If you are struggling with a computer screen, have you investigated the accessibility options on your computer?  Font size, background colour etc?
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

sewingj

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 20:07:58 PM »

If you are struggling with a computer screen, have you investigated the accessibility options on your computer?  Font size, background colour etc?

I must admit I haven`t done that yet but will investigate.  I`m also going to try single-vision specs rather than my vari-focals.  I`ve been told that it may be happening because of the slight flicker on the computer screen - if I`m not careful I can end up feeling like I have motion-sickness!

Elnnina

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 15:29:23 PM »
On enquiry this afternoon at the newsagent that gets my copy of Threads, I am told that it is due on Friday 3rd August.

As I am the only one who has this magazine saved at my newsagent in the village, I do keep tabs on when it is likely to be arriving, as if it goes too far beyond the due date then the chances of my getting a copy are likely to be nil.  I believe the newsagent gets his magazines from WHSmith Wholesaler.  As Threads is bi monthly, once it goes on sale in the USA, it is approximately three weeks later that I am likely to get my copy, on very rare occasions they excel themselves especially around Christmas and Easter time.

sewingj

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 15:53:11 PM »
Thanks - if I am near Smiths after the 3rd I will see if they have a copy.  Must admit I am avoiding all shopping at the moment because of the heat!

Mottymay

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 19:56:38 PM »
My local Smiths no longer has these on display.  I asked and they said that they can orfer it but are not getting copies to put on the stand.  Quite a few needle craft and quilting ones have disappeared off their shelves over the last few months. :(

Elnnina

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 13:17:31 PM »
My husband has just gone down to the newsagents to pick up the latest copy of Threads - issue 198.  Of course it was running late - but this happens and I have been chasing this for the last two weeks.