The Sewing Place

Bernina 801 motor dead.

Tony

Bernina 801 motor dead.
« on: July 12, 2018, 12:26:12 PM »
Bernina 801.

The motor was running very slow on inspection the commutator is worn out. My understanding these motors are no longer reconditioned or can we get them?

Seen options of fitting a Jap motor to the side with new pedal would rather keep it original if I can.

Do you folks know where I can get a motor from not used as don’t know the history. ?Thanks.

b15erk

Re: Bernina 801 motor dead.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 12:30:43 PM »
My SM man got my Bernina 730 motor re-conditioned when it was doing the same thing yours is.  Cost about £60, but I don't know the name of the company.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieg

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 13:26:27 PM »
Hi,

I had my Bernina Record 930 (replaced capacitor in the motor)  repaired by Alex Askaroff:

http://www.sewalot.com

If you google him you'll find links to  You Tube demonstrations etc.

You could always e-mail him and see if he can help.

Regards,
Annieg

Samantha

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 13:46:27 PM »
@annieg Me too! (801 capacitor).

@Tony  he's great - definitely contact him.

Tony

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 13:47:54 PM »
The capacitor was burnt but i just throw them away there not needed anymore.

The capacitor was there to stop interferece to the 1970/80s Tv and audio. These days there is far better filltering in these audio gear these Capacitors are not needed.

Its a replacement motor i need ill be fitting it myself so my other half can get back sewing.

arrow

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 14:00:12 PM »
If it is a capacitor problem it's easily fixed. Armature replacements can still be found, they turn up now and then but not often. A local repair guy who bothers can likely do something. I thought the commutator only became damaged if the carbon brushes wasn't replaced? Armatures from the 1920s are still turning fine in many cases? Looks like the armature will cost nearly £70 when ordered from an ebay seller in Australia (...of all places, it could not be further away). My 730 would be worth it. With a bit of patience something more local will turn up. I would as Helen Howes too, even if it isn't a treadle.

Tony

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 14:07:32 PM »
Yes thank you seen those on e bay.

There is another option fit a general purpose motor supplied with new pedal from Hong Kong about £21 all in with postage then will have to see if it will fit inside the original motor housing with a little work.

I’d rather go genuine if I can find one over here. Pulling mine apart it’s badly corroded the screws have snapped in the body.

Something may turn up we do have the 807 to use in the mean time.

Manuela

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 00:28:59 AM »
Welcome to The Sewing Place @Tony you are our 604th member  :)

Be aware that Ebay sellers who claim to be from Hong Kong more often than not are not, they are mostly from China and can be a hit and miss.
Ebay is not widely used in Hong Kong, Yahoo auction and Taobao are the most popular online buying and selling platforms here.