The Sewing Place

New Machine Incoming Stage Left

Nicola1968

New Machine Incoming Stage Left
« on: July 12, 2018, 15:06:18 PM »
Whoop, just ordered a new machine, who doesn't love a lovely new sewing machine?

I am getting, in the next few days, a loverly Janome 1600p.  This is a "professional" machine - some would say semi-industrial and others would say there is no such thing.  For the uninitiated it is a straight stitch only machine that sews at extreme speeds and is metal bodied and metal geardy thinged.

I am going to be using it for my curtain making business.  I'm also looking forward to making a few bags with it as I'm desperate for a new handbag :D

So very excited to receive it :D

Nik

Celia

Re: New Machine Incoming Stage Left
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 15:51:21 PM »
I have that machine and LOVE LOVE love it. Can you tell how much I love it.
Seriously I have had this machine for for years now and it is still my favourite machine

Nicola1968

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 16:14:38 PM »
Celia, I had one on loan for 6 weeks and loved it.  Such speed, such beautiful stitches, such STRENGTH  I'm really looking forward to having another go at making jeans when I get it, and bags.  And of course, curtains for my business :D

Nik

Mr Twingo

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 21:30:30 PM »
I've been admiring that machine.

Does it take regular, low shank attachments? Are their any features it lacks (I know it's straight stitch only)?

arrow

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 00:30:38 AM »
Very interesting, you have to let us know how it turns out. Some of the old domestic machines were capable of similar speeds; Elna Supermatic 1300 spm, A pfaff 360 is set to maximum 2200 spm. Will you ever dare to floor the pedal? ;- )  My guess is your new machine will be supersmooth to run at these speeds and you have to let us know its' advantages.

Industrial is a loose term, depending a lot upon the size, durability and the marked it aims for. Heavy duty industrials run nearly for ever and will keep on running 80 years later. I know the 31K15 were aimed at small buisnesses like taylors and department store fitting room workers and not the larger factories. It runs and stiches reliable at 2000 stitches per minute. It was a much more expensive machine to invest in than the Janome model is today. The new Janome is much more portable, compact with built in light, auto threading, doesn't weigh nearly as much, etc.  The odd thing with these high speed straight stitchers is, I personally only floor the pedal on my machines for easy zigzagging.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 00:32:11 AM by arrow »

Nicola1968

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »
I've been admiring that machine.

Does it take regular, low shank attachments? Are their any features it lacks (I know it's straight stitch only)?

I don't believe it does take the regular attachments, I've ordered a couple of extra feet for it - regular and concealed zip foot and a teflon foot.  The thing I will miss is one step buttonholes.  The other thing is that the feed dogs don't drop for free motion but I really can't remember the last time I dropped the feed dogs on my regular machine and I think I've only done that once anyway!

Nik

arrow

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 12:59:00 PM »
It comes with an accessory box and I guess there's something in it? From an info page it looks like it comes with a straight stitch foot, felling foot, feed dog cover (called quilting/darning plate), various tools and brushes, 5 bobbins, you might have to add a few right away. It looks like you are pretty much covered and anything else can be added after you have used the machine a bit. I have a feeling you need too keep your old machine not too far away for some types of jobs; like freearm, zigzag, stretchy stitch, blind stitch and buttonholer.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 13:44:37 PM »
I have added a few extra feet, it takes a lot of the same feet as the industrial machines, I have bought some through a company called hopkirks but a friend who has the same machine has bought hers from Amazon.
I am considering buying the 1/4 inch foot but I do have it on my other machines so keep putting it off as I can only find the official Janome one.  I do have other machines to do buttonholes (which I hardly ever do) and zig zag. I mainly use my Overlocker and this machine to do dressmaking projects.  Really glad other people love this machine.

arrow

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 14:02:05 PM »
What is it whith the 1/4" foot? Theres somone on the search for one all the time. I found this on ebay, other versions here, and here.  There's high shank round ruler feet too, looks like basic darning feet.