The Sewing Place

Hunting for polka dot fabric

Manuela

Hunting for polka dot fabric
« on: July 13, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »
I want to make my version of this dress. I have a black and white flower print (cotton sateen) but just can't find the right polka dots to go with it. I want the dots to be at least 1" big (bigger would be even better) and ideall black dots on white.... in a beefy cotton.

Any links/recommendation are very much appreciated.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

eclectic

Re: Hunting for polka dot fabric
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 16:14:01 PM »
Hi Manuela … love that polka dot … have you thought about printing your own … then you get the exact size dot your wanting  ;)
 https://www.contrado.co.uk/cotton-fabric … otherwise I shall keep you in mind if I spot anything online in my searches

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 01:13:13 AM »
Wow thank you everyone  :loveit:

@Lizzy777  & @Surest1tch I had my eye on the Fabric.com offering, but while the dots are perfect, polyester charmeuse is not my cup of tea (heat in Hong Kong, middle age, etc...)

Stonefabric's options look good, but I need to order by phone (long distance/time difference) and I doubt they'll ship internationally.

That 1.65" polkadot in @Surest1tch 's other link would fit the brief nicely  :loveit: I just got some yardage, so thank you very much

@eclectic having been burnt by custom print on cotton with spoonflowers.com, the print on their cotton sateen it faded beyond recognition, I do't want to go that route again.

I've been mulling over appliquè (still got some leftovers from the Mondrian dresses) at some point  ;)

Thank you again for your help - if you see ginormous polka dots on beefy cotton, please keep them coming as well as 2" black and white stripes  :devil:

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 01:31:11 AM »
Before I hit the 'pay' button, I spotted this 6cm (2.36") polka dot fabric on the same site - yay, this is perfect  :D

https://www.landofoh.com/products/black-dots-cotton-fabric-black-and-white-fabric-by-the-yard-dk

Lizzy777

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 09:02:26 AM »
Before I hit the 'pay' button, I spotted this 6cm (2.36") polka dot fabric on the same site - yay, this is perfect  :D

https://www.landofoh.com/products/black-dots-cotton-fabric-black-and-white-fabric-by-the-yard-dk

I'm glad you have got fixed up ok. The only thing I noticed on the landof.com site was that it states the 2.36"
* Dot is not fully round.
So long as you have seen that, then that's good to know  :)

lizzy

Manuela

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 10:56:53 AM »
@Lizzy777 I aw that. They have an example of it on another fabric - the difference is only 2-3mm.
This might become a new favourite website, as they are located in Korea, shipping is really reasonable  :D

eclectic

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 14:46:12 PM »
So glad you responded to that @Manuela , I have been thinking about printing with spoonflower but had read mixed reviews about their fabrics. Now I can put that thought to bed! Thrilled that you found the fabric you wanted and really look forward to seeing the end result

Lizzy777

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 15:11:41 PM »
@Lizzy777 I aw that. They have an example of it on another fabric - the difference is only 2-3mm.
This might become a new favourite website, as they are located in Korea, shipping is really reasonable  :D

Glad you noticed it. Yes when I saw this site I checked it out first to make sure it was ok before I clicked on the link and I thought it was better for you to get fabrics closer to home. I like the site too. Must have another look on there.

Look forward to seeing the dress.  :)

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 15:29:25 PM »
So glad you responded to that @Manuela , I have been thinking about printing with spoonflower but had read mixed reviews about their fabrics. Now I can put that thought to bed! Thrilled that you found the fabric you wanted and really look forward to seeing the end result

They are fine when it comes to synthetic fabrics, best to avoid when you want natural fibres and/or stretchy knits.

Manuela

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 15:10:09 PM »
Reporting back on the purchase....  >:)
Not exactly a good experience. When they hadn't shipped anything up to yesterday, I emailed them - twice. Turns out the fabric is not available... After a few emails back and forth, I finally got a refund today.

Back to square one now, still searching for polka dot fabric....  :(

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 00:46:12 AM »
Thanks @Surest1tch , why oh why do people post 'satin' instead of the actual fabric content in their listing....
I managed to find a 5cm polkadot print in cotton on ebay earlier this week - from Korea.