The Sewing Place

Maximum

« on: March 21, 2017, 11:39:33 AM »
Over the last couple of days Avatars are showing as black boxes. Members, like myself, with just a white ? on a blue background are as previous.
I am getting the same on iPhone 5s, via Safari and mini iPad via Google Chrome.
Like/unlike is fine and on iPhone the buttons and thumbs up etc are aligned to the right side of avatar.
Not a major issue but thought I would let you know.

b15erk

Re: Avatars not showing
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »
Utter Retch advised refreshing the screen (on another thread), and it worked for me.

Not tried it on my phone yet.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 12:08:44 PM »
When the post likes were included, the code that displays the avatars was also changed as it's part of the same section of code.

Please perform a hard refresh. This normally fixes most visual problems. How to perform a hard refresh

I'm a tad concerned that you have been experiencing this for a few days though? The code was only changed yesterday evening. When did you first see the issue?

Maximum

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 13:12:57 PM »
Apologies Fran for not being clearer - when I said a couple of days I meant yesterday (20th March) and today!! Sure I noticed it before sunset though, if that's any help.
If I clear the cache to refresh will that delete all my saved logins etc?

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 13:20:05 PM »
Apologies Fran for not being clearer - when I said a couple of days I meant yesterday (20th March) and today!! Sure I noticed it before sunset though, if that's any help.
If I clear the cache to refresh will that delete all my saved logins etc?

If you do the "hard refresh" then no, but if you fully clear the cache in your browser then yes.

Edit: actually no, it won't delete saved logins it will just log you out of stuff.

fajita

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 13:27:08 PM »
I'm on an iPad and my avatars were sorted by pressing the round arrow thingy on the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 13:29:59 PM »
I'm on an iPad and my avatars were sorted by pressing the round arrow thingy on the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Yeah that's just the standard refresh which in some cases will go and fetch all the new code, but it doesn't always do that hence the need for clearing the cache.

Definitely worth a standard refresh first, then a hard refresh, then clearing cache.

supergran

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 15:13:58 PM »
Pressing the round thingy worked on my phone as well. Thanks fajita,  I  wouldn't have thought of that.  -<