The Sewing Place

Best machine max length 17" (43 cms)

annieg

Best machine max length 17" (43 cms)
« on: July 14, 2018, 12:16:02 PM »
Would love TSP opinions on the best sewing machine which has a long arm (but not the "super" long arm of the Janome 9400).  I don't want a straight stitch only machine.
I have a horn cabinet and the bed can accommodate a machine which has max length of 17".
I've seen members talk about Pfaff and I think Imi has an Atelier?

Anyway, I'd interested to read your views and,  just maybe, someone might have a suitable machine for sale?.....

Look forward to hearing from you, and many thanks.
Annieg

Kad

Re: Best machine max length 17" (43 cms)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 12:34:19 PM »
I had a standard Horn cabinet and then got a Janome 6600p (6700p is newest model), which was a longer machine, and still managed to use the Horn's drop base facility. Not as originally intended as I had to disconnect the foot pedal and power lead before lowering the base and then reconnect them. As the base of the 6600p was so square, I didn't need to use a transparent insert. The machine could also be stored within the cabinet. According to the Horn website the two were incompatible but I couldn't afford to change the cabinet and loved the machine, so the little bit of inconvenience was worthwhile.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Efemera

Re: Best machine max length 17" (43 cms)
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 16:57:50 PM »
I like the Pfaff for quilting, I think the IDT system is far better than a walking foot... I have both but prefer the Pfaff. It does lovely buttonholes too.