The Sewing Place

Fabric for ‘supportive’ knickers.

Tiggy

Fabric for ‘supportive’ knickers.
« on: July 16, 2018, 06:16:15 AM »
Being a lady of a certain age, and shape, I prefer my underwear to have some ‘substance’ in order to maintain control over my less than firm body.  Having children caused a road map of stretch marks on my belly, and I’m afraid the days of my skin fitting my body are long gone.
Does anybody know where I could get a cotton/spandex fabric with some substance so I could have a go at making my own knickers which are up to the job?
I’ve looked on The Sewing Chest site, which is great for power net, but I like cotton knickers, not slinky, satiny ones.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Greybird

Re: Fabric for ‘supportive’ knickers.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 09:50:59 AM »

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »
https://www.seamwork.com/issues/2015/02/choosing-the-right-lingerie-fabrics
has a lot on info about choosing lingerie fabrics.

A few dources of cotton jersey with spandex/lycra
Girl Charlee
Spoonflower
Tia Knight
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 16:29:57 PM »
You could try strong power mesh but I would seriously suggest using cotton for the gusset.

Tiggy

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 17:25:26 PM »
I strongly agree about using cotton jersey for the gusset.  Its just rest of it.
I like Sloggi knickers and I want to copy mine.  I object to paying mega £££s for them when I know that they are a bit of jersey/elastane, power-net and a scrap of jersey for the gusset  ;).
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 13:23:37 PM »
I can`t comment on making knickers but I`m another fan of Sloggi - they have enough lycra to keep everything in place without feeling restrictive.  I agree they are pricey but they do last a long time and you can sometimes find them on sale at Debenhams