The Sewing Place

How to refresh your browser

Francesca

How to refresh your browser
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »
Refreshing your browser is usually the first port of call for fixing most issues, especially visual issues.

This can be done in a few different ways.

Windows users
IE, Firefox - Hold down Ctrl and press F5
Chrome - Hold down Ctrl, shift, R

Mac users
Firefox & Chrome - Hold down Ctrl, shift, R

iPhone / iPad users
Safari - Settings > Safari > Clear Cache

UttaRetch

Re: How to refresh your browser
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 22:11:54 PM »
Just presing the F5 key works for Mac users.  I do it all the time.  :)

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 22:44:51 PM »
Just presing the F5 key works for Mac users.  I do it all the time.  :)

The F5 key is a just a window refresh, not a full refresh. It may perform in the same manner in some cases, by fetching new files from the server, but it's not a guarantee. So the only way to confirm that you have fetched new files from the server is to perform the hard refresh as above, or clear your browser cache through settings in the browser.

Also the F5 key on most Macbooks is shared with the screen dimming key so on some devices hitting the F5 will just dim your screen! Ctrl + shift + R is the full browser refresh and isn't shared by anything else.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 22:50:48 PM by Francesca »

Lantana

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 22:55:10 PM »
Oh it works it works! I'd lost the avatars and they've come back!  :) :) :)

:vintage:

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 23:15:20 PM »
You've given instructions for those using Windows / MAC / iPhone-iPad but no mention for those using Firefox on LInux. Any advice?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 07:29:37 AM »
My issue is I don't have access to a Linux machine to test. Also I figured anyone using Linux is probably computer savvy enough to know what they're doing  :P

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 07:46:55 AM »
Thank you, miss.  :P

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 09:28:17 AM »
Thank you, miss.  :P

Now you can refresh to your heart's content! (I must admit I can't even figure out how to get the F5 key to work on my laptop without dimming the screen, and I have a computing degree...)

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 13:16:29 PM »
Also I figured anyone using Linux is probably computer savvy enough to know what they're doing  :P
Well that's not me, I pass all technical stuff onto my OH but when I asked him he just said 'use the refresh page icon'. You're talking about something more than that though, aren't you?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 14:21:56 PM »
Well that's not me, I pass all technical stuff onto my OH but when I asked him he just said 'use the refresh page icon'. You're talking about something more than that though, aren't you?

Yeah, essentially it's more of a full refresh that tells the browser to go and get all the info again from fresh, rather than just loading the page again.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 15:25:25 PM »
Now you can refresh to your heart's content! (I must admit I can't even figure out how to get the F5 key to work on my laptop without dimming the screen ...

I have a full alpha-numeric keyboard which came with the original Mac I purchased way back in 2004, and the dim function is actually a combination of keystrokes which I sometimes accidentally activate.  0_0

MrIminei

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 19:48:27 PM »
The hard refresh is usually a browser thing not an operating system thing - in other words what works for chrome or firefox on windows will also work on linux.

So Ctrl F5 or Ctrl shift R should do the biz on firefox / linux Marnie.

By the way - congratulations for using Linux. The open source software ideal that bought us linux also provides the software that allows us to run this forum.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 20:25:43 PM by MrIminei »

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 21:20:36 PM »
Thank you Mr I!  :) I'll try it when I get back to the laptop. I didn't have much choice about Linux as my DH has been a big fan for some time so when he bought me a laptop after I retired that's what I got. Happy with Libre Office, would prefer Photoshop to Gimp but most of all miss InDesign from the Creative Suite - don't feel the love for Scribus yet.  -<

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 21:42:27 PM »
Ugh, Gimp is horrid.  It was just a massive, unwhieldly file that took lots of room on my hard drive.  I finally deleted it.

Marniesews

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 22:36:51 PM »
It was just a massive, unwhieldly file that took lots of room on my hard drive.

Yes, the xcf files are big so I just keep the original jpeg and export the edited version as a jpeg too.