The Sewing Place

Butterick 4136

jen

Butterick 4136
« on: July 16, 2018, 08:02:14 AM »
I've used this pattern to eat up a bit of stash. It's a very simple pattern for a skirt with flare at the hem and panels, which I adapted by adding a waistband and lining and playing about with the hemline. Blog post https://patternpandemonium.wordpress.com/2018/07/15/dead-easy-skirt/  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Fabric is a poly voile with a satin dot woven in. Great pattern for a rapid make btw.

Nevis5

Re: Butterick 4136
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 09:07:12 AM »
Very pretty, @jen !  That's one of my favourite shapes for a skirt.  Where will you wear it?  I wouldn't dare wear that colour round here with my infallible ability to throw anything I eat down my front  :S

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 09:08:36 AM »
That is a really lovely adaptation of the pattern, I thought I recognised the B 4136, it was the first skirt I made when I started sewing again about 8 years ago. I made a short version last year, I love the shape of the skirt with the lower down flare.
Still learning

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 09:14:07 AM »
That is really elegant.  Like Nevis5 I would end up with beetroot on it even if I wasn't eating it.  I can't do uneven hems either, they just look wrong on me, I can't have the right proportions or something.
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 10:28:58 AM »
That looks lovely, wish I could wear skirts, but my spare tyre has succumbed to gravity, so a waistband sits very much lower underneath it at the front, making skirts hang very oddly!

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 10:35:16 AM »
I can't wear skirts with a waistband anymore Bodge, too uncomfortable on my non existent waistline. I usually lower the waistline on skirts and trousers and add facings or a lining.
Still learning

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 11:07:58 AM »
That looks lovely, wish I could wear skirts, but my spare tyre has succumbed to gravity, so a waistband sits very much lower underneath it at the front, making skirts hang very oddly!
Were you a lineslady at Wimbledon yesterday?  ;)
I saw one who could have tripped over the front while flashing at the back. Aren't they fitted for those things?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 15:12:24 PM »
Really pretty and the hem looks perfect.

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 16:27:15 PM »
That's very pretty and feminine too, sadly I can't wear skirts any more, bad accident that left my left leg from the calf down full of exploded thread veins and now looks horrendous  :'(

jen

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 18:04:19 PM »
I did this in my daughters size, sorry should have mentioned that. My waist is honoured in the breach, I have made this pattern up for me before, but in the sort of fabric style that allows for a top covering the danger zones. Pretty good pattern for a flared skirt, the princess lines allow alterations to the waist fit with no problem.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 18:19:00 PM »
Lovely skirt. Your Daughter must love it. The hem adaptation went really well.

My skirt days are over I'm afraid, for pretty much all the reasons listed above.  ;) No one should have to look at my veins. I certainly don't want to see them. Creepy looking things.  :S Waist can change up to 4 inches in a day, up and down and back again. Elastic is now my friend. Thank you gall bladder removal!

@jen , I loved the first line of your blog post.  :toast:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.