The Sewing Place

Repurposing

toileandtrouble

Repurposing
« on: July 16, 2018, 21:07:22 PM »
Just looking in to say I found a use for empty cotton reels (not me, on the Internet). Wind on those left over lengths of ribbon/ binding etc and fasten down with a pin. Naturally I had just binned a lot, but, there will be more, oh yes.
I still use my mini sharps box (emptu tictac box) for broken or dud needles/pins.
A small paperclip is perfect to fasten down the end of a reel of 'leather' trim that I didn't want to pin.
Any other useful oddments that you can recommend?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Pineau

Re: Repurposing
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 00:41:14 AM »
I use an expired debit card for turning up hems. I can line up the fabric edge with various bits (long number/ magnetic strip/  expiry date/ logo etc) depending on the depth I want, I can press fabric over it without it melting (so far) and it’s small and bendy enough for most jobs.  “Your flexible friend” in fact, for those who remember that old advert.

Nevis5

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 07:43:57 AM »
Great ideas, both!  I never thought of any of those, but they are brilliant.  Thank you xx

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 17:38:10 PM »
I use coaster and table mats as pattern weights when cutting out on the dining table.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 20:10:58 PM »
I collect old cotton reels...they’re getting quite pricey now.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 22:17:27 PM »
I use a couple of thin cardboard pieces from inside blister packs to slide down under lycra dance wear on my dress form so I can pin or tack without catching the looped fabric of the dress form. It bends around the shape quite smoothly and I simply slide it around as I go. The cardboard usually has a smooth glossy surface so the pin/needle tends to slide rather nicely along before resurfacing rather than the point getting stuck in it.

The tictac container is ideal being transparent but I found that the lid just got too loose with use so now I use an empty mints tin (the sugar-free Compliments from Aldi). I got quite a few from my daughter and have them lined up with a label on the lid for 'found rhinestones' (usually off the floor) awaiting return to their fellows, wonder clips, small brass safety pins (I use them for all my fittings), paper clips and - oh yes, mints.  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

crafter

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 23:20:14 PM »
So, what do you do with all the needles that you have carefully put in plastic tubs.  I use the plastic tubs that my calcium tablets come in.
So do I throw them in the general rubbish?  The metal in degradable and recyclable, the plastic may be recyclable.  Put the two together in a plastic bag and bury it in the ground and it will probably be there for the next 1000 years.

I am inclined to worry a lot about such things. -<

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 23:26:13 PM »
I've been using mine for getting on a year and it's far from full so I'll wait until it is before I put it in the recycling bin. Use a metal tin like the one I use and it'll get picked up by the magnet at the recycling centre and go off with its metal needles.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

crafter

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 00:48:19 AM »
Use a metal tin like the one I use and it'll get picked up by the magnet at the recycling centre and go off with its metal needles.

Doh, why didn't I think of that.  I can sleep now. :D

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 18:38:43 PM »
Washers into pattern weights..just waiting for DH to cut a square of oak and stick a dowel in it to store them on. Price....£2 for the washers

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 19:40:48 PM »
You can use various size plates to draw the waist radius of a no pattern circle skirt.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 01:59:22 AM »
@Efemera , deets please. Glue and what size are they. I've only found 3/4" so far. I used big old round washers before.  8)

ETA: found larger ones but lordy they were pricey and not local. I could buy real pattern weights for less, but then I'd miss out on all the fun of customization.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 02:01:54 AM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Efemera

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 09:17:46 AM »
I used double sided tape to stick two together and to stick the paper on. A small round needle file took out the center hole. I don’t know if you have the same kind of DIY store in the US but these are the same as I used.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-m10-square-plate-washers-galvanised-50mm-x-50mm-50-pack/9891H?tc=BT8&ds_kid=92700034758233694&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo8qMwK6Z3QIV77DtCh3ZxQL7EAQYAiABEgIeqfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CI2q5sOumd0CFaEX0wod9P4JMw

Ellabella

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 10:19:18 AM »
You can use various size plates to draw the waist radius of a no pattern circle skirt.

@UttaRetch I'm not sure they make plates big enough for me :( :'(

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 15:43:47 PM »
 0_0  0_0  0_0 Sorry to laugh @Efemera.