The Sewing Place

Jaguar overlocker?

Surest1tch

Jaguar overlocker?
« on: July 17, 2018, 10:12:50 AM »
Has anyone got one of these or know anyone who has please. My Janome is "playing up" and I'm looking to get another one as back up just in case it needs to go for repair whilst I'm in the middle of something, as is usually the case in this house  :S.
I don't know wether to get another Janome or one of these Jaguars,

This is the Janome
https://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/products/janome-smd-exclusive-smd644d-overlocker/266

This is the Jaguar
https://www.directsewingmachines.co.uk/overlockers?product_id=458

Thanks in advance for your input.

Morgan

Re: Jaguar overlocker?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 12:59:04 PM »
If you're used to using a Janome O/L unless you've used the style of  Jaguar / Frister Rossman overlockers get the Janome.

It's really going to depend on how you use the features on your machine.

If you engage and disengage the knife for overlocking in the round, you may find the way you have to do this on the Jaguar will be much more cumbersome than you're used to.

If you are used to switching easily between overlocking, rolled hem, narrow and wide stitches on the Janome, then doing the same thing on the Jaguar is different.  You have to insert or remove the correct width of stitch tongue to be able to make the different stitches.

You're familiar with a particular style of overlocker so if you're going to switch to another style, doing a test drive on it first is the way to go.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 13:04:48 PM by Morgan »

Surest1tch

Re: Jaguar overlocker?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 19:31:28 PM »
Thank you for that @Morgan I've gone with the Janome. I rang the firm and spoke to a really helpful guy called Dave who thinks that model will make a really good back up machine. I could have had it delivered tomorrow but I'm out all afternoon so they are getting it delivered on Thursday for me. Once I get that I can take the other to Trev's so he can work out why the blades catching the side of the collection tray, I've managed to stop it with a bit of thin cardboard at the moment, not ideal but it's kept it limping along.