The Sewing Place

Swimsuit fabric as lining?

dolcevita

Swimsuit fabric as lining?
« on: July 17, 2018, 20:23:01 PM »
I have found some white lyrcra swimwear type fabric in the depths of my stash.  It's super stretchy and I was pondering over whether to use it to line the giant polka dot ponte for my second iteration of the sleeveless Burda dress as I could probably remove the need for the zip then.

I'm not sure if it's too rubbery, though.  I'm also puzzled as to why on earth I bought it in the first place (I suspect underwear intentions).

Ohsewsimple

Re: Swimsuit fabric as lining?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 07:25:45 AM »
Would have thought it might be a bit thick for that.
White Lycra?? 0_0 0_0.  Guess it wasn't for a swimsuit.  :o

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 08:59:29 AM »
DV, I wouldn't use it.  I used something similar on a dress I made, and I have never worn the dress as it felt too heavy, and far too warm.

I've been using a lovely silky mesh for a lot of projects lately, no idea what it's called but it adds hardly any bulk at all.  I bought three more lots at the weekend - just in case!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 09:19:09 AM »
Regardless of the thickness, swimsuit fabric will be far too stretchy to use as a lining for ponte.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

eclectic

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 18:05:10 PM »
DVita I agree with the others... not a good combination … too heavy, too warm, too thick .. too perfect for some undies  :D

dolcevita

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 18:53:30 PM »
Thanks, ladies.  My concerns are confirmed and I've found a suitable alternative from the stash that just keeps giving!