The Sewing Place

Raglan tunic - with design feature

datcat23

Raglan tunic - with design feature
« on: July 18, 2018, 09:46:36 AM »
I cut out a version of my Bootstrap Fashions Raglan Tunic.  This top has been a mainstay in my wardrobe, and its a great winter layering piece.  Bootstrap Fashions are a “custom” company, using pattern making software, in order to take a customer’s measurements, and then produce a pattern that exactly fits that customer’s shape.  This was my first purchase.  But, when I put in my measurements, I forgot to put in what is called wearing ease.  Our clothes aren’t exactly the same size as us.  There is always space to allow us to breathe, eat a big meal, sit down; most clothing is about 1-2 inches bigger than us.

But, as its been so long, I completely forgot to add wearing ease when cutting.  And so I had a lovely tunic, that was extremely formfitting.  Ok for my slim daughter, not so good for me.

Adding a side panel by Dani, on Flickr

I used the pattern for the denim dress I posted about earlier, cutting the front into a princess seam, and inserting a coordinating panel, and putting in the pocket as well, using the scraps.

The temptation when making this sort of alteration, is to go overboard, and end up having a top that is miles too big. But this one has worked fine, giving me that little bit of wearing ease, so it doesn’t cling to my lumps and bumps.  With the added benefit, that by drafting a whole new pattern for the alteration, I can now have a different version for future tunics.

Just the collar and hems to do, and then I have another top for winter workwear.

more pics and detail on my blog, no advertising
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Nevis5

Re: Raglan tunic - with design feature
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:48:43 AM »
That's brilliant, @datcat23 !  That worked really well, and I love the dragonfly fabric. 

Starryfish

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:34:24 PM »
That's much more stylish than the original! Very on trend. Great save of some lovely fabric.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 13:05:35 PM »
Ooooh I really like the style of that, it looks perfect for the current hot spell

datcat23

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 13:12:20 PM »
Ooooh I really like the style of that, it looks perfect for the current hot spell

Its winter down here, and I am in Canberra, so it is blinking cold.  This is a heavy knit layering piece.  But I did buy some linens and a piece of rayon today, ready for summer. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

ambro0

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 23:54:46 PM »
Great save Dani and I love the contrast side panels!!
Annette

Bernina Aurora QE440, Bernina 1150MDA Overlocker, Janome Coverpro 1000 CPX, Elna Air Electronic SU