The Sewing Place

Hello everyone

countrygal

Hello everyone
« on: July 18, 2018, 19:33:22 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm Abbie and I have recently moved back to the midlands after 7 years in Lewisham London, just settled back into my own place and itching to sew again.

Thanks for allowing me to join on this forum, I've used it in the past to much avail. I've done cross stitch since primary school and started sewing around 7 years ago, mainly self taught so all the knowledge and experience that is here is incredibly helpful.

I've mainly made household things, skirts, tops, upcycling clothes and baby clothes.

Next month I'm going to start on my biggest project so far, to hand sew my own dress. I've made 2 dresses before but always with a machine  :S any advice welcome for that!

Looking forward to sharing and learning from TSP members as you all seem lovely people!

Abbie  :flower:

maliw

Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 19:39:19 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum, a hand sewn dress-wow. I've been sewing for 50 years plus and never attempted something like that good luck and I hope you enjoy it. I quite like hand sewing.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 19:45:04 PM »
Welcome to The Sewing Place.

There are indeed some lovely, helpful and knowledgeable people on here. If you're stuck with anything, just ask. Somebody will be able to advise you.

I think I've been to/through Stone...it sounds familiar.

Sandra.
xxx

countrygal

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 19:47:49 PM »
Welcome to The Sewing Place.

There are indeed some lovely, helpful and knowledgeable people on here. If you're stuck with anything, just ask. Somebody will be able to advise you.

I think I've been to/through Stone...it sounds familiar.

Sandra.
xxx

Hello Sandra - It's a pleasant little town so I hope you get to do more than just pass through it in future  :)

countrygal

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 19:50:23 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum, a hand sewn dress-wow. I've been sewing for 50 years plus and never attempted something like that good luck and I hope you enjoy it. I quite like hand sewing.

Hello Maliw - oh dear  :| I may have bitten off more than I can chew I suppose can always resort to the machine to finish if that is the case

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 20:26:12 PM »
Welcome Countrygal from a Lewisham girl - town centre to be specific.  I hope you like our little place.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 20:32:11 PM »
I used to live in Stone.  In fact I've lived there on three separate occasions!  A lovely little town.  :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

countrygal

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 20:33:41 PM »
@UttaRetch oh hello!!! I used to live in Randall apartments - where the old spotted cow pub used to be. I miss rolls and rems! There nearest to me now is miles away. I do miss Lewisham though  :'(

countrygal

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 20:35:33 PM »
@Acorn hello :) I do like stone bit of a mixed bag of people which I like, I'm right on the high street - a bit too close to pasta di piazza for my temptations. When did you last live here?

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 20:38:32 PM »
Hold on while I count on my fingers...
... needed my toes as well!

15 years ago.  Where does the time go?  :o

countrygal

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 20:40:55 PM »
@Acorn oh blimey! I doubt much has changed too drastically in that time, I'm where the old ironmongers used to be bottom of the high street and there are still an abundance of pubs which I can imagine have been here for yonks! Do you prefer Wales?

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 20:43:17 PM »
@countrygal: I live on Belmont Hill and go into Rolls and Rems quite often to leaf through the pattern books.  I also go to the other fabric store at the end of the parade of shops that includes Boots, but that really is a challenge. :D

It's looking increasingly likely that I shall have to leave London altogether and am busy trying to find somewhere that is not too far away. :(

countrygal

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 20:49:31 PM »
@UttaRetch It's very sad when that happens, I tried to hang on when I got made redundant but had no choice. The fabric shop next to the Irish pub? I never went in there as it's very cramped but I'll have to check it out I'm coming back for a weekend in August to see old friends

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 20:50:20 PM »
I do love it here - I always wanted to live in the middle of nowhere!  I first lived in Stone when I was 18, and it's somewhere we kept going back to, although we never lived there for more than 3 years at a time.

When I first lived there High Street wasn't pedestrianised and none of the bits around Morrisons existed. We got married in Christchurch, which must be quite close to you.

countrygal

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 20:54:51 PM »
@Acorn yes I'm not far from it at all. It must be very nice to see nothing but fields  :loveit: I think 3 years for me will be enough and then I'll up sticks and move again. I will eventually go round England  0_0 so far I've done Plymouth, Portsmouth, London and here. Next has to be somewhere up north!