The Sewing Place

Flower Girl dress

Francesca

Re: Flower Girl dress
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2018, 18:31:42 PM »
First sleeve on... the sleeves on this are put in and then the lining is folded over and the back is pulled through the tops of the arm.

Oh my god, I thought it was over. I really thought I wasn't going to manage it. I was pulling and pulling as gently as I could but forcefully enough to get the whole chunky velvet back to pass through the top of the arm, which also has the little gathered sleeve tucked in there. I was SURE it wasn't going to go. Just at the point that all of the back was stuffed into the arm cervix I was staring at it thinking HOW is this going to work. And then, it birthed. That moment of relief was so great. Of course then I immediately remembered I had one more to do. Cuppa break methinks...

Francesca

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2018, 18:24:38 PM »
It's done. DONE. Wahoo. And all boxed and wrapped (ready for the other bits).

I'm pleased with how the back turned out in the end, I think it looks better than if I'd done the overlapping poppers.

Acorn

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2018, 19:31:09 PM »
That is gorgeous - well done.   :)

I agree with you about the buttons.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2018, 19:32:57 PM »
That's lovely Fran and a gorgeous colour.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lachica

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2018, 22:29:07 PM »
Lovely.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

annieg

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2018, 22:50:12 PM »
Really Gorgeous! @Francesca

Francesca

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2018, 23:18:18 PM »
Mr Velveteen Rabbit is nearly done too!

Unfortunately his ears are a bit skew-wiff but not a lot I can do now they are in. One of them is embroidered with the wedding date and the fabric for the belly and ears is taken from a dress the bride wore at her aunt and uncle's wedding.

I've put in the weight bag so he stays sitting up. He needs some paw weight bags too and then to be hand stitched in round the base but that is proving too fiddly for now so I will wait until tomorrow when I'm less tired. His nose will be stitched in some rose gold floss I found and his eyes will be pale gold. For those of you who don't know of The Velveteen Rabbit you can read it here (get your tissues ready), it's one of the nicest children's books I've ever known and I'll be gifting the book to the bride's niece along with the dress (that part is secret even from the bride!)

I think he looks quite the part in comparison!

Iminei

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2018, 08:34:38 AM »
Aw that is perfect and his ears are meant to be on the wonk... you only have to look at the pic on the book!

I bet the lil girl will think you wrote the book about the rabbit which you made for her and also hope with all the hope inside me, that the dress and the rabbit becomes a much loved heirloom ...

I suppose I better get on with those lobsters now!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2018, 08:42:56 AM »
Fran...that's lovely.  <3

Beautiful work and a beautiful gift.

Sandra.
xxx

Francesca

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2018, 08:46:13 AM »
One the one hand I'm gunning after the heirloom but on the other (if you read through story I linked) I'd rather him become The One so he can be Real  :*

Acorn

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2018, 09:29:09 AM »
Wonky ears are one of those things that make a teddy bunny!!! real.  He's lovely.   :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:54:58 AM by Iminei »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2018, 23:29:19 PM »
So. Nearly. Done. Save for the fact that I cannot get his second eye to match up with the first one. He either looks bug-eyed or downright evil. So giving it a rest tonight and will tackle the second eye and FINALLY he will be complete.

Catllar

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2018, 21:42:03 PM »
Lovely dress and the rabbit is gorgeous! The eyes will be fine - bit of character.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Francesca

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2018, 21:47:41 PM »
DONE. IT'S ALL DONE. DONEDONEDONE. Folded, neatly placed, wrapped, card written, tied up with a pretty ribbon! Seeing the bride next Monday now so it's tucked neatly in the dining room ready to be taken out.

I will be sure to update you with some pictures once the big day comes. Now to get on with my own outfit!!

mudcat

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2018, 03:07:27 AM »
The dress turned out great.  I love the color.  I think the recipient (or more likely her mother) will be quite pleased.  The bunny is cute.