The Sewing Place

Generic Invisible Zipper foot

sewingj

Generic Invisible Zipper foot
« on: July 19, 2018, 15:34:20 PM »
I`ve recently been following this tutorial

https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,3626.0.html

for a new way to install an invisible zipper and bought one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADJUSTABLE-ZIPPER-FOOT-LOW-SHANK-SCREW-ON-FITS-MOST-DOMESTIC-SEWING-MACHINES/322295589268?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I struggled to get the stitching close enough to the zipper teeth and wonder if a better quality foot would be easier to adjust.  Can anyone recommend one please?  (I did try my ordinary zipper foot and my invisible zipper foot (Janome) but neither did the job)

WendyW

Re: Generic Invisible Zipper foot
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 16:26:24 PM »
I haven't used the one you show, but I did buy a plastic "universal" invisible zipper foot that was sold right by the zippers at the store. Took me one use to decide to spend the money on the "real" foot from my machine brand. I ultimately decided that a standard zipper foot worked better for me than the invisible one. And I still hate invisible zippers. Love the look, hate installing them.

arrow

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 16:42:36 PM »
I have two types of zipper feet, the adjustable one, and one with two grooves under the base. The groove is suppose to guide the plastic ridge of the sipper. One is not easier than the other. I have two of the adjustable type, a narrow Singer foot and a generic a bit wider nearly identical to the one in the video. You have to sort lift up the zipper ridge, and guide the foot it along carefully and stitch along slowly go get it nice, almost pushing the foot under the plastic ridge. I guess it's more about technique than any thing else, and I think even zippers different, the  plastic interlocking sides can be made different, some are metal, some sort of lift up to the side more easily than others. Some have the zipper ridge lying more flat on the fabric strip.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 16:45:38 PM »
Did you iron the coils on the zipper away from the tape - with a cool iron of course!  That should help you get closer.  If you have an adjustable stitch on your machine, that my help you get closer, but you don't want to go too far in case you catch the coils which will stop you zipping up. (Don't ask how I know!)

Hope this helps.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 20:02:19 PM »
@b15erk   for my first attempt I used my invisible zipper foot and did exactly what you describe! I thought I`d done a good job and then tried to close the zip.  It took me blooming ages to un-pick it!

To be honest I was trying to do this in a hurry which was probably a bad idea for a first attempt.  I will stick with the foot I bought and take my time for the next attempt

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 21:57:29 PM »
I have a proper Husqvarna invisible zip foot, but TBH I get just as good results using a regular zip foot, and mostly I choose to use the Singer 201 with it's tiny little zip foot. 

Invisible zips go in before closing the rest of the seam.  I often put the zip in position and sew a little way from the coil.  That holds it firmy in place and then I then do a second row of stitching taking care to spread the coils open and away from the tape. Repeat on other side and then close the rest of the seam.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 08:21:05 AM »
@b15erk   for my first attempt I used my invisible zipper foot and did exactly what you describe! I thought I`d done a good job and then tried to close the zip.  It took me blooming ages to un-pick it!

You have to be careful not to sew too close to the zip! Try not to force the zip to unfurl, just let the foot do that for you. I've often sewn too close – usually in only one place – so the zip runs smoothly, then >JAM< and the dratted thing won't move any further.

And I would stick with genuine feet, designed for your machine. My experience with generic feet has been disappointing at best. They never quite align with the precision needed, so guide marks are off centre, feet don't rest correctly on the fabric, needle holes are in the wrong position. Usually the feet I don't need to use are fine!

Yes, the genuine feet are expensive, but they are worth it, IMHO.

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 11:04:33 AM »
I do usually buy Janome feet but this tutorial specifically mentions a foot that is a different shape from the "proper" ones

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 11:19:45 AM »
I've seen that tutorial too, but I already have a genuine Husqvarna invisible zip foot and I always use that without any problems (at least not with the zip foot anyway!). What I always forget to do is press the zip first.

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 17:19:26 PM »
I've used Foot 30 (3 Groove Pintuck) with my Bernina for invisible zips but I don't know if this would work for other makes of machine.  I think it's trial and error to find out which suits you best.  I do use a zip that is 1 to 2 inches longer than the zip opening as this avoids having to sew round the zip pull.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 14:12:01 PM »
I only use invisible zips now so I've got the 'proper' foot for both the Pfaff and Bernina.  I tend to find that if you can aim for  the slightly folded line a bit off from the zip teeth you get it just right.  If you get the foot in the wrong place it's a lesson in stitch ripping.  I've done that many now that I'm more likely to get it wrong if I start thinking what I'm doing.

What generally happens is that when I put the other side on I get it the wrong way, although I always zip up first to make sure it's right so not a problem. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included