The Sewing Place

A make, a pattern and a question.

Vezelay

A make, a pattern and a question.
« on: July 19, 2018, 20:46:38 PM »
I went on an open garden visit this afternoon with the local garden club (ie tea, cake, chatting and wandering around the garden - in that order) so decided to wear my Maria Denmark Edith blouse for the first time since I made it last autumn. It's an fairly simple quick make and this was my second. I narrowed the shoulder width on this one and lowered the bust darts on both. If I didn't have my notes I'd swear I'd gone down a size this time. It's a flattering shape imo and takes very little fabric. I used cotton lawn from a charity shop maxi-sundress. (I bought 3 more of those from charity shops last month - you know, the strappy ones with gathered elastic over the bust - I guess they must seem like a good idea at the time  ><)

and the first I made - I need to reshape the sleeves on this one to stop them sticking out. Not sure I'd wear that fabric much anyway though - it's a bit much for me.

So that's the make and the pattern.

The question is about those wrinkles that extend out from the crotch on the rtw white pull-on stretch denim jeans I'm wearing. Is there an easy enough way I could fix that? If not I'll either just put up with it or charity shop them. None of my other stretch jeans do that so it can't be me :)

Lachica

Re: A make, a pattern and a question.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 21:05:24 PM »
Don't know about the wrinkles, they don't look bad to me and wouldn't be noticed if the fabric was black. I like both your blouses, the fit looks good and both colours suit you. The sleeves look fine to me.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 21:47:42 PM »
I think you possibly need to lengthen the crotch just a tiny bit
https://closetcasepatterns.com/pants-fitting-adjustments-best-tips-for-pants-fitting/

That's not something you can do on RTW trousers.  But, it's barely noticeable.  If the trousers feel comfortable then continue wearing them. 

BTW, the blouses both look lovely on you.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 23:05:58 PM »
@Vezelay when you give up sewing can I bagsy your pattern stash please.  You always find ones that are just right for me.  You look longer legged than me but otherwise pretty much a body double.
I really like that pattern, both the blouse and the dress and the blouse suits you really well.
Life's too short for ironing.

ambro0

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 00:23:37 AM »
@Vezelay

I think your tops look great and IMO, there's nothing wrong with the longer shoulder seam in your original version. It's probably just not something that you usually wear and you "think" it looks odd.

With regard to your pants, I don't think there's really anything to worry about there. What happens if you roll the waistband over which in effect, shortens the front crotch seam?
Annette

Bernina Aurora QE440, Bernina 1150MDA Overlocker, Janome Coverpro 1000 CPX, Elna Air Electronic SU

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 09:14:04 AM »
@Vezelay: I love the fabric of the second blouse.

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 15:26:45 PM »
@Vezelay when you give up sewing can I bagsy your pattern stash please.  You always find ones that are just right for me.  You look longer legged than me but otherwise pretty much a body double.
I really like that pattern, both the blouse and the dress and the blouse suits you really well.

No problem @Ploshkin, though I hope that won't be for a while yet.  :)

@Vezelay

What happens if you roll the waistband over which in effect, shortens the front crotch seam?

Fewer wrinkles @ambro0 but uncomfortable. Think I'll live with it. Thanks all.