The Sewing Place

Lining question

b15erk

Lining question
« on: July 20, 2018, 10:27:35 AM »
I'm making the Amelia tea dress for Theo's Christening, and hadn't looked at it for a while.  When I did yesterday, I realised that the lovely soft pale green mesh fabric I had used on the top was not enough for the skirt....

Now I had anticipated this, and got some cream just in case, but I don't really want to use that.

My question is, would a waist slip be a useful alternative to an A-line lining?  I've plenty of the pale green to make a slip, but just not enough to line the skirt....

Or. do I bite the bullet and use the cream.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

Re: Lining question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 10:37:49 AM »
If the fabric hangs ok without the lining I would just go for the slip. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Lizzy777

Re: Lining question
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 11:16:20 AM »
I'm not quite sure what I would do but you could always make the skirt half lined, in the green mesh fabric (if that would fit in). I'm not too sure about a waist slip, its a long time since I wore a waist slip and I am not sure I could get used to wearing one again under a skirt. Therefore, I would use the cream mesh fabric because if you are this undecided about it, you may well spend all the time you are wearing the tea dress, regretting not putting the cream mesh fabric in as a lining. It will hang better, it will feel better when you wear it and after all you did buy the cream mesh for this dress?

If the mesh fabric wasn't expensive then I would line it  :)

lizzy