The Sewing Place

There's nowt so queer as folk

Sandra

There's nowt so queer as folk
« on: July 20, 2018, 10:53:39 AM »
I've just had my work delivered from the Dry Cleaner and this skirt was amongst it. It's pale lilac coloured polyester fabric...but look at the mess on the front.  :S

Why?

Why bother?...what happened?...why haven't you washed it to check the marks will come out before spending the money on the alteration?
The alteration cost is probably between £10 - £15.

The lower marks beneath my pins will be gone, but the main big scribble will still be there. I'm not sure what the mark is. I assume a child has done it but it's not chalk or crayon or felt tip pen.
I'm not messing with it. I'll do the shorten and leave it well alone.

The ticket says....'Lady knows about the marks'.

Er.....O.K. ><

Sandra
xxx

BrendaP

Re: There's nowt so queer as folk
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »
 :S -< >:)

She could probably buy a new skirt for £15, but it's not your problem.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 11:40:16 AM »
I would refuse to do it, sorry.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 13:39:55 PM »
Weird!

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 14:00:37 PM »
Why????

Don't think I'd like that job Sandra.  :S

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 16:05:06 PM »
@Sandra: indeed not. :o

Bloobell

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 11:08:40 AM »
I wonder if she's planning on dyeing it? It does seem truly weird to not wash it first though...

Question - do you ever get anything unwashed to alter? I once had a pair of trousers handed in to shorten and when I turned them inside out, all the leg-dandruff fell out. I almost threw up.

Fiona M

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 11:12:34 AM »
Maybe it was scribbled on or marked by a child or a pet that has passed away or something, and has significance to the owner?  Not sure the lady was bargaining for it to be photographed and held up online for public scrutiny!

Bloobell

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 11:24:52 AM »
I think this is a private, subscriber's only, board, so the owner will never see it. She'd see it if she was a subscriber,  but if that were the case, then I'm guessing she'd do such a simple alteration herself.

Sandra

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 13:05:26 PM »

Question - do you ever get anything unwashed to alter? I once had a pair of trousers handed in to shorten and when I turned them inside out, all the leg-dandruff fell out. I almost threw up.

Oh my god...Yes! Leg dandruff  :x  and remember turn-ups when they went a bit out of fashion, then when you unpicked them they were full of dried grass.
Let out the waist on trousers which look to be brand new but there's a brown skiddy on the centre back seam.  :x  :x
Suit trousers for a new zip, and when I looked inside to start the job, the fabric was stiff and a deep yellowy brown colour from all the...well...y'know...bloke had got a 'leakage' problem. I was called a... 'Fu**ing bit*h!'... for politely refusing to do those.

Lol  :\

I've asked the person who took this skirt in about 'why?...and she said she's a slightly odd old lady who often brings in items which look a bit past their best. The lady isn't worried about the mark. She put it there to show where she wanted it shortened to...no explanation for the scribbly bit...and she (customer) feels confident the mark will come out easily.

Not sure the lady was bargaining for it to be photographed and held up online for public scrutiny!

If she pops into the forum, I apologise if I've made her feel embarrassed. I've no idea who she is or where exactly she lives.
I don't think I've been rude about her or insulting. My main thought is...why wouldn't you check the garment will come clean before spending money on an alteration.

Sandra.
xxx

crafter

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 18:20:11 PM »
The clues are there "slightly odd and old".

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 11:38:05 AM »
Many years ago I briefly worked for Harry Hall's, occasionally jodhpurs or riding breeches were returned to us for repair, mainly covered in horse poo  :x and stunk to high heavens. That's why I only worked there briefly, I still can't believe people would return garments in that condition, disgusting!

crafter

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 12:31:21 PM »
You only have to walk through the door of our village pub to know that the horsey set are in.  The stink!  I don't think they notice it.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »
[quote ] Question - do you ever get anything unwashed to alter?. [/quote]
A nursing home once asked me to shorten some curtains from the breakfast room. Although they had been to the dry cleaners, the bottom was encrusted with Weetabix.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Bloobell

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 17:58:25 PM »
I once gave curtains back to a client when I saw they were covered in dog hair. A LOT of dog hair. I assumed they were also dirty so I asked her to clean them, she took great offense and I never saw her again! I do love dogs, but I honestly don't see why I should hoover curtains before I shorten them.