The Sewing Place

Temptation or make my own - what pattern?

Gernella

Temptation or make my own - what pattern?
« on: July 20, 2018, 11:42:18 AM »
I'm meeting some old colleagues for lunch next week.  Naturally I make sure that I'm looking as young as ever!!  Problem was what to wear, looks like it is going to be hot.

I'd picked a watercolour patterned dress out in cotton lawn, nice and light.  Having lost a bit of weight the shoulders had a habit of dropping slightly and I felt as if I had to pull them back again.  Then a catalogue crossed my view.  Normally they go straight in the bin unless I'm looking for ideas.  Anyway I saw something I fancied and ordered.  It arrived in two days, tried on and of course too long for mini me.

I'd already seen some fabric on Minerva that was identical and although it is too long, I do like the design. nice and simple and I love the sleeves.  £45 is not an enormous amount of money but when it is relatively easy to make it sticks in my throat spending, especially when I have to shorten.

So I had a quick looked and picked out the Tilly pattern Bettine (I could add the ties), has anyone seen anything else on their travels.

https://www.grattan.co.uk/products/tie-jersey-dress/_/A-84R688_10?cs_ev=browse-_-page1-_-listPosition5-_-none-_-PLP-_-refined 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Vezelay

Re: Temptation or make my own - what pattern?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 15:13:46 PM »
It looks very like the Bettine, doesn't it? I've one of those planned myself. I'd say you've got your pattern there. I do like the ties though - are they attached to the dress or inserted in the waistline, or what? If your fabric is jersey, I see Tilly suggests leaving off the pockets (pity, that) and doing a neckband.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 15:57:05 PM »
The ties are inserted into the front of the dress and just tie off, more decorative than anything.  I was surprised at the amount of fabric required for the Bettine dress, 2.5 meters seems a lot of fabric for a shortish dress.

There is no way I can get a dress done by next week without leaving off what I am doing and then I have to wait for pattern and fabric.  I might use my own dress for the lunch and use the  bought one for a funeral I've got coming up.  In the scheme of things I cant remember the last time I bought a dress so I'm due a treat. It does look nice on though, apart from being a bit long.

I'll have another twirl when it gets a bit cooler and have a hard look at whether to keep or send back. Being able to sew does make you a bit mean spending on RTW.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 18:11:36 PM »
Good plan @Gernella - your own dress sounds lovely anyway. I agree with you that sewists get mean - I haven't bought any rtw in a couple of years (shoes don't count) but had no problem spending €530 on a coverstitch machine the other day!

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 18:32:05 PM »
Good plan @Gernella - . I agree with you that sewists get mean - I haven't bought any rtw in a couple of years (shoes don't count) but had no problem spending €530 on a coverstitch machine the other day!

No, shoes don't count, neither does a coverstitch machine, that's a tool for your hobby.  ;)

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 20:53:59 PM »
Just wondering - does it count when you buy a charity shop garment to repurpose, then find out that it fits as is and wear it?  :[

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 10:15:59 AM »
Oh no, that's an absolute bargain.  A friend of mine who was going back to work after a 15 year break got a complete work outfit for under £10.  The navy jacket was a Daks.