The Sewing Place

Annie's dress

Bloobell

Annie's dress
« on: July 21, 2018, 11:13:27 AM »
My client, Annie, turned 90 in late May, and had a bespoke dress made for the occasion. Annie has vascular dementia, so we weren't sure she'd party the whole day but in the end, she partied Saturday AND Sunday and caught up with her sleep on Monday.

She chose the style, based on an emerald green dress worn by Sophie Wessex, Prince Edward's wife, last year I think. I found a commercial pattern that had the right neckline and bodice, and altered the skirt to make it longer and fuller. We also adapted certain elements to make dressing her easier, as Annie is in a wheelchair.

There's a black velvet belt with a bow hidden by her handbag (a 1950's original that she has treasured all this time)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 11:32:45 AM by Bloobell »

Bloobell

Re: Annie's dress
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 11:21:37 AM »
I'm driving myself nuts trying to sort this pic out! Sorry!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 11:25:55 AM »
Bloobell, that is beautiful!  Annie looks so happy! The dress is a triumph!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bloobell

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:30:54 AM »
Thank you. Annie's already dropping hints about having another one made.

This is the inspiration dress. I think the collar on the Vogue pattern is far nicer than Sophie's one!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 11:35:28 AM »
It's much nicer, and I love the fabric. 

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 12:09:42 PM »
Annie's sits much better. That is one stylish lady. Matching bag and shoes and nails and hair done. Fab.
My dad had vascular dementia. The laughs we had with him!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 12:12:37 PM »
She looks beautiful. The dress is lovely - well done!

Lolli

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 12:17:57 PM »
Aww that is a beautiful dress! Annie looks so happy wearing it too  :flower:

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 12:29:45 PM »
That's a lovely dress and she does look happy wearing it.  I especially like the black trim around the hem.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SkoutSews

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 12:44:32 PM »
That is a lovely dress, perfect for the occasion. Annie looks relaxed and happy - and very smart with her matching accessories.

Bloobell

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 16:24:34 PM »
Oooh it's nice to see you notice the trim around the hem. The fabric frays horribly and a simple turned up hem wasn't possible due to the curve. I made bias binding from the lining and used that. It's machine stitched one side and hand stitched carefully on the other, so the stitching doesn't show at all. I did consider black round the cuffs as well, but decided it was overkill - the lining sorted that finishing out anyway, it would just have been cosmetic.

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 17:51:06 PM »
Going off on a tangent - sometime ago I heard a radio programme by a GP who was in the early stages of dementia - she said that she had several dresses that were reversible as it wouldn`t matter if she got in a muddle and put them on inside out.

Sandra

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 19:18:15 PM »
I tried to reply to this earlier today but the internet went funny and my post didn't register...so...trying again...

It's a beautiful dress, @Bloobell and I love the fabric..I want to stroke it.

Annie has good taste. I love the vintage look.

Sandra.
xxx

crafter

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 22:52:54 PM »
Lovely dress, beautifully made.  Well done.

Its so nice to see someone with this condition doing something so normal and everyday, well special everyday.

My mum had this condition and everyday day was a torment for her.

Nevis5

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 08:23:14 AM »
That's lovely, @Bloobell !  A really special dress for a special lady.  She looks amazing in it.