The Sewing Place

Skipping stitches on wide zigzag pattern ... Why ????

Iminei

Skipping stitches on wide zigzag pattern ... Why ????
« on: July 22, 2018, 17:32:39 PM »
The Splurgess is skipping some of the stitches on the wider zigzag pattern ... Why ????

Please help, I really need this stitch to help me quilt TV.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kad

Re: Skipping stitches on wide zigzag pattern ... Why ????
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 17:35:50 PM »
@Iminei
I'm probably preaching to the converted, but have you tried a new needle?  I find that with my janome 8900 it's usually a sign that a new needle is needed.

Good luck.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 17:43:43 PM »
I could try one, tho the one on there aint that old (I can remember changing it so that means within a month or two) ... but why would a new needle make a difference? (just like to know!

Kad

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 17:50:37 PM »
@Iminei
Don't know the science behind it, it just does  :S

I'm not too fussy about changing the needle with any great frequency when dressmaking, but very particular when quilting  :D
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

mudcat

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 18:57:43 PM »
I change the needle after every garment or two. They get dull thus causing skipped stitches.

I probably went through 2-3 of them on the quilt I just finished.  I remember not changing them until they broke 30 some years ago.  I think they must have been better made back then.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 21:19:17 PM »
  I remember not changing them until they broke 30 some years ago.  I think they must have been better made back then.

Modern machines are much more sensitive than the older ones.  The old Singers still sew well even when you can hear the pop-pop sound as a blunt needle hits the fabric, but on the relatively new machine I need to change the needle much more frequently.

If any machine starts to miss stitches the first thing has to be change the needle.  You only need to hit one pin, or one bit of roughness in quilt wadding to cause a minute burr or bluntness to the tip of a needle.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

arrow

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 21:32:28 PM »
My zigzaggers are old, only 5 mm width, they still stitch with worn needles. Worn needle tips can make things act up; less than neat needle punch, threads catching and partly pulling at the fibers,... I don't think the new Berninas are particuarly different than my old 730 Record or Elna Supermatic regarding skipped stitches. Regular needle replacement is of corse recommended on all machines. Maybe some 9 mm stitch width models are more delicate? I guess some models are more prone to this than others new or old, it should in theory be easily sorted out.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:06:39 PM by arrow »

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 08:35:40 AM »
Okay Ladies,

A gentle clean and a new needle first thing this morning it is then,

Thank you x

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 07:42:20 AM »

arrow

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 14:09:15 PM »
If it's the package of needles you should be able to find something when comparing to a good one; needle hole slighly off it's spot, maybe a burr some where or not as polished as usual, the grooves and shape of a needle need to be made to a high standard. A worn neede is something you can check for; run the tip over your finger nail or nylong stocking at it will catch, a new one will feel smooth from all angles.  No need to bin a package of perfectly good needles. 

Dust, lint, bit of thread, etc. caught in the bobbin-hook-feed dog area can disturb the interlocking of the two threads, very basic but it can happen on any machine.

Sakar

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 22:23:48 PM »
My first advice would have been an extensive cleaning, a new needle would have been the next one.  ;)

Does it work again?

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »
Yes perfectly, can you not see the picture ???

Why doesnt anyone tell me when a pic doesnt show????

linky

Lizzy777

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 09:34:27 AM »
I could see the picture in your first posting of it. Comes up fine still. :)

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 09:49:26 AM »
In your post (th one before Arrow's) I get the "no entry" blank picture but clicking on the emboldened and underlined words "Thank you" took me to the same pic that is showing in the message after the one from Sakar.  The emboldened and underlined word "linky" also takes me to the same photo.

There is obviously something that's very easy to forget to do in the way you link your photos to posts.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 10:01:56 AM »
In the first attempt @07.42 yesterday I saw the picture no problem but it has since disappeared from that post. The linkys all work and the picture is still present in the second attempt @08.17. I'm not sure Imi's totally at fault.
I do the same thing every time to upload pics on this site and seldom get the same result twice in a row.  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!