The Sewing Place

Quilting fuzz problem

mudcat

Quilting fuzz problem
« on: July 22, 2018, 18:10:18 PM »
I was so happy yesterday to finally finish my black and red checker quilt that I started well over a year ago.  As I always do I put it in the washer after I finished the last stitch.  When I took it out of the dryer it had lint/fuzz all over it so I washed a second time and while it seems to have helped some there is still quite a bit.  I used a very thin cotton batting and had noticed some fuzz show through on the black squares in particular.  I figured it would wash out but instead it beaded up.

I always use this type of batting and don't recall ever having this happen before.  The brand is Quilters Dream Cotton. 

I am not sure what to do now.  It makes it look awful.  I can keep washing it in hopes that it will eventually come out in the lint trap. 

Anyone had this happen to them before?

Iminei

Re: Quilting fuzz problem
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 18:13:25 PM »
Are there holes in the fabric for it to come through?

Maybe its the fabrics fault !
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

mudcat

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 18:21:03 PM »
There are no holes in the fabric.  Some of the African prints are more loosely woven than the rest of the more mainstream quilting cottons.  And even though I saw some cotton batting show through in the black squares it was probably there in the red ones as well ... just doesn't show up.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 18:57:32 PM »
I've heard of this problem before and am lucky enough that it hasn't happened to me-yet. The looser weave of the fabric contributes to it, as does Quilter's Dream by what I've been told. I use Warm & Natural or Warm & White as they won't beard. When I have mostly black fabrics I use Hobb's Heirloom® Premium 80/20 Black Cotton Blend. It's needle punched and resin bonded, so it has a slightly firm surface and won't beard. I've been pleased with it so far.

I guess you need to use a sweated fuzz shaver to take it off? Lint roller probably pulls more up and you don't really want to cut them all off one by one.

The quilt is lovely! Do we get to see a photo of more of the quilt? Pleezee...

Hate when little things like this go wrong.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

rubywishes

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 21:10:47 PM »
I had this happen on a dark quilt I did last year....I decided to use white batting as I didn't like the look or feel of any of the charcoal battings I found in the LQS and I had sandwiched the batting the wrong way up for the scrim to stop any bearding...sigh....I was not about to undo the whole blinking job to turn the batting over!   I used a lint shaver and that did the trick. I don't think I would wash it again...probably unnecessary and not helpful. Scrim is very helpful if you place it the "right way"!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 21:13:25 PM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 21:30:43 PM »
The problem does seem to be wrong choice of wadding for the fabric.
https://quiltersconnection.ca/banish-those-bearding-blues/

Shave off any bits that really stick out but really once it's quilted you are not going to undo it all so just enjoy the lovely quilt.  As my mum used to say "a blind man you be glad to see it!"
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

mudcat

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 21:54:05 PM »
I'm going to leave it be for now.  I'm sure when it's on the futon couch it will look fine from afar. Rene,  I'll take a photo once I have it settled in it's new home later today.

I've used this same brand of batting before and this is the first time I've had this happen.  Thanks for all the feedback.

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 08:25:10 AM »
As my mum used to say "a blind man you be glad to see it!"

What does that mean Brenda ??? I've tried saying it out loud several times but still cant make any sense from it !!  :S
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 09:47:17 AM »
As my mum used to say "a blind man you be glad to see it!"

Autocorrect got it wrong.  should be
A blind man would be glad to see it.

It means that it doesn't look bad to other people even though you know it's not perfect.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sandra

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 13:29:33 PM »
I used to work with someone who used to say...'A blind man on a gallopin' oss ud think it looks great'... 0_0

Sandra.
xxx