The Sewing Place

Cool fabrics for trousers

SewRuthieSews

Cool fabrics for trousers
« on: July 23, 2018, 08:27:54 AM »
As the hot weather continues I am struggling a bit to find things for work.
The office does have aircon though its a bit patchy, and my car has aircon too. My house however is 1980s and gets quite hot. This is OK at home as can wear shorts, printed viscose trousers etc, but not OK for getting ready for work.
Tops wise I can wear short sleeved tops in breathable fabrics OK. However my normal polyester mix trousers are very sticky when I first get dressed. I'm going to raid the fabric cupboard for thinner but work suitable fabrics and make either culottes or trousers for work.
(My thighs chafe in skirts and dresses, requiring culotte slips, which is an extra layer so not really interested in them.)

Efemera

Re: Cool fabrics for trousers
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 09:15:42 AM »

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 09:42:59 AM »
Tried these....?
https://www.mish-online.co.uk/shop/bandelettes/

Do they have the silicone inside like hold-up stockings?  Not the most comfortable of things to wear.

I am wearing shorts today - the first time this year - only because I hang my summer dresses in the wardrobe in the spare bedroom and we had the GSs overnight, and actually they are feeling warmer than a floaty skirt would.

If you must wear trousers I would suggest wide legs or culottes in lightweight cotton, viscose or linen.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:53:14 AM »
I've been wearing linen, it creases like crazy but it's cool. I made up some linen/ramie up last week which is also cool, doesn't stick to you and doesn't crease anywhere near as badly as pure linen.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:54:42 AM »
I have to be tidy at work too SRS, and it's difficult, especially around the leg area.  I hope I'll pick up some ideas for cooler fabrics, atm I wear polyester because it doesn't crease, so looks tidy. 

I made a pair of ankle length Stylearc Barb at the beginning of the summer, which are great, but looking quite shabby now....

I'm not a shorts person either Brenda, but I have been wearing them around the house, and in the garden - although I do worry about getting bitten.... :S  (I attract the flying, biting beasties)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 09:59:15 AM »
What about a cotton/linen blend? I see lots of that around at the moment - like this and it's supposed to crease less than linen.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 10:14:57 AM »
A cotton crinkle fabric will probably look less wrinkled in wear than one which is supposed to look smooth.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 11:15:07 AM »
I love my baggy trousers made in this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cotton-Linen-Fabric-DIY-Material-Craft-for-Dress-T-shirt-Curtain-Cushion-Plain/332360593883?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
it's really cool, nice and crinkly ao [at a pinch] you can dodge the ironing, and feels beautifully breezy
C'est moi!

annieg

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 11:25:33 AM »
Would love to know the average postage  you have to pay and are you charged customs duty on receipt of goods?
Annieg

DementedFairy

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 11:41:57 AM »
me?  No customs so far.  THe only times I've ever been hit were for sewing patterns...most annoying!
C'est moi!

annieg

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 12:35:26 PM »
Thanks Demented Fairy - my question was directed at your post.
The reason I asked is because the link showed as the fabric coming from China ....
Annie

DementedFairy

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 12:38:10 PM »
Thanks Demented Fairy - my question was directed at your post.
The reason I asked is because the link showed as the fabric coming from China ....
Annie
I've bought this one twice, no customs.  In fact I've never had an issue with anything from China, only from the USA

It's lovely fabric
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 12:59:29 PM »
I agree with what has been said so far, either pure linen or a linen blend such as linen and cotton or linen and viscose are both nice and cool and not quite so creasy as pure linen.
If you are buying from outwith the EU you won't pay customs charges if your purchase is less than £15. Above that and it is a bit hit and miss. Some parcels get through without extra charges some not.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 13:05:06 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Saashka

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 14:30:23 PM »
Linen or linen/cotton is probably your best bet if you can deal with the wrinkles. If not, then tropical wool. Those were pretty much my standard fabrics during our years in Florida (hot and humid).

annieg

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 14:35:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies @DementedFairy  and @Tamnymore .
I'll be brave and order some of the fabric from China as it looks really nice.
(In my day-job I am an Export Control Manager and responsible for shipping (high value) stuff all over the world, hence I'm wary of incurring unanticipated Customs charges.
Thanks again.
Annieg