The Sewing Place

Cool fabrics for trousers

Surest1tch

Re: Cool fabrics for trousers
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 16:50:12 PM »
I've had fabric from China & India too and so far have only been hit with customs from America (touch wood).

Catllar

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 17:31:45 PM »
What about a cotton/linen blend? I see lots of that around at the moment - like this and it's supposed to crease less than linen.

No no no no no - I'm stepping away from the credit card. Backing slowly out the room - and closing the door.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 18:18:52 PM »
I just can't imagine how having some sort of band on the thighs is in the least bit comfortable, but each to their own!
The "bit" that rubs is the entire area from crutch to knee so can't see that working for me, thanks for trying to help though.

I'm going to raid the fabric cupboard tonight and see what I can find.
Maybe I can get dressed at the last minute with the fan on and then get out to the car for the aircon, before I turn into a hot sweating mess. Its going to be 30 degrees on Thursday. Not very English at all.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 20:13:21 PM »
Had a rustle in the fabric cupboard and found several possible options.
Have decided to start with a charcoal pinstripe linen.
Already prewashed, so good to go.

Nevis5

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 21:06:39 PM »
Sounds good, @SewRuthieSews .  I've made a pair of linen/cotton culottes recently which have been lovely in the hot weather - it was almost shirting weight fabric so very lightweight - the culottes are quite gathered so no see through to worry about.  I love them and am on the lookout for more suitable fabric for more.

I have a friend who suffers from rubbing thighs, she suggested trying either deodorant or maybe some medicated foot powder on the sore bits to try and keep them a bit drier.

Good luck!

DementedFairy

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 21:14:40 PM »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 07:02:35 AM »
Linen trousers finished and some cotton ones cut out but not yet started sewing.
Will do a photo and add.

sdBev

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 00:36:53 AM »
I know its gotten a bad rap lately, but my aunts used to use a little talc for chub rub.  Thinking cornstarch might help too.

I like seersucker, but it may not be professinal enough for your work place. I have found something called corded cotton. It is 100% cotton and quite thin but still opaque. The warp is regularly spaced with a thicker/stronger strand ie the cord.  Quite comfortable, to me.  100% linen creases too badly for me but I do like linen/ cotton blend or either fiber with a little polyester or Lycra. Also all year round I love love love cotton/silk blend. Can be a little pricey. Back to the addition of a little poly, for summer I make sure the percentage of poly is around 10%.  I dont have an issue with poly but if you do this  isnt a good solution. I have some really thin rayons that are good in hot weather. I use them in trouser style fabrics becuase I think the fabric looks better in the fuller leg.  Sorry no links because we are on opposite sides of the pond.  US sources probably wouldnt help you.

Bowerbird

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 03:23:16 AM »
I've made a couple of pairs of these Hilda bike shorts in a cotton/bamboo knit. And of course you can adjust the leg length to whatever you want. They are an easy sew and very comfortable under summer dresses.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 07:49:37 AM »
In the end I made trousers in linen and cotton from New Look 6216

But had to stop as I've run out of 1" elastic.

annieg

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2018, 12:27:27 PM »
@DementedFairy I've received the fabric from China .. can you do some more thinking for me please and recommend a pattern for this fabric?  (I should pay you a consultants fee!)  :D
Annieg

DementedFairy

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2018, 12:30:30 PM »
I adore my red fabric made up as Kathryn Brenne trousers with gathered ankle detail...I thought they were way out of my comfort zone, but I want to wear them all the time in this heat! 
It's Vogue 9114 and the skirt is another bonus!
C'est moi!

Catllar

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 13:13:22 PM »
Oh you bad people with your talk of linen - look what you made me do. You made me buy 6 metres of handkerchief linen - how very dare you!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !