The Sewing Place

Dress pattern - first to hand sew

countrygal

Dress pattern - first to hand sew
« on: July 23, 2018, 20:05:22 PM »
Hi everyone,

So next month (come on sweet payday)  :toast: I will be attempting to hand sew my first whole dress :thread: This is the pattern I have https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-LOOK-SEWING-PATTERN-Misses-Dresses-EASY-SIZE-6-16-6567/361995270818 the poll is for which would be a good challenge but not leave me crying in a corner too often. Also if anyone has used this pattern before any honest reviews are welcome. Thank you all!

Abbie x

Acorn

Re: Dress pattern - first to hand sew
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 20:30:02 PM »
Good luck!  I made a skirt and top entirely by hand many years ago (about 30!)  It was a simple gathered skirt and (I think) a cap-sleeved (dolman) top, but there was applique around the hem of the skirt and on one shoulder of the top.  Your dress will have rather more in the way of long seams and fine detail, but it should be no problem if you enjoy hand sewing.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 20:31:56 PM »
I like them all but you may find the square neckline easier.

ambro0

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 20:49:43 PM »
Which neckline looks best on you? It would be a shame if you put so much effort into the dress with the easiest neckline and then find that it doesn't flatter you.

I am keen to follow your progress as I have been toying with the idea of hand making a garment.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 20:56:34 PM by ambro0 »
Annette

Bernina Aurora QE440, Bernina 1150MDA Overlocker, Janome Coverpro 1000 CPX, Elna Air Electronic SU

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 21:10:54 PM »
I was just wondering why you want to hand sew a dress?

Sorry if I am being nosey  ;)

lizzy

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 21:21:20 PM »
I have made version H by machine. 

It was actually the first dress I made after coming back to sewing via the darkside and is just about ready for the bin now!  I always wear clothes thin at the back at bra strap level and the fold of the fabric beside the zip has worn through, and also the zip is sticking.

I did it with conventional pressed open seams, but with hindsight the curved seams of any princess line dress are better with a narrower finish - overlocking usually, but by hand I'd do French seams.  I also did a self fabric bias bound neckline rather than facings, but that would only work for view H.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 21:21:32 PM »
The notched neckline on F is unusual and pretty.
It shouldn't actually take much longer than machine sewing it- I've made things by hand [delicate fabrics etc] and just remember you do not need to backstitch all the way- too bulky, just small, even running stitch with the occasional back stitch to stabilise.
Ready, steady, GO!
C'est moi!

Lizzy777

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 21:37:10 PM »
I've made things by hand [delicate fabrics etc]

Yes, I was thinking that maybe some hand stitching for smaller delicate items or some tailoring etc would be good. Or a special item of some kind. I just didn't understand the attraction of hand stitching a dress tbh?

Nothing wrong with doing it, am just curious as to why the dress if it isn't being too nosey lol  :)

lizzy

countrygal

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 22:07:01 PM »
@ambro0 they all flatter my neckline the ones I've picked, can't go too high up on the neck or I give ET a run for his money  :D and oh lord I'm sorry for all the mental breakdowns I'm going to have over this - hopefully won't put you off

countrygal

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 22:09:06 PM »
Hi @Lizzy777 two reasons really, 1 I don't have my sewing machine serviced yet and the timing and F/S is off so wouldn't want to ruin it and I'm itching to sew again. Cross-stitch isn't cutting it, other reason is to see if I can do it so a bit of a personal goal for me

countrygal

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 22:10:34 PM »
@DementedFairy thank you I'll bear your advice in mind!  0_0

countrygal

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 22:12:48 PM »
Good luck!  I made a skirt and top entirely by hand many years ago (about 30!)  It was a simple gathered skirt and (I think) a cap-sleeved (dolman) top, but there was applique around the hem of the skirt and on one shoulder of the top.  Your dress will have rather more in the way of long seams and fine detail, but it should be no problem if you enjoy hand sewing.

Oh cool, did you use a dress form or risk sticking yourself with pins to adjust the paper pattern (if you used one that is) @Acorn

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 22:29:22 PM »
I definitely didn't use a dress form - we'd only just got married and had very little stuff (hence no sewing machine).  I think I made the skirt by measuring and guessing, and the top by tracing another top (no tracing paper, material to material!)  The applique was hand drawn flowers.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lizzy777

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 22:32:20 PM »
Hi @Lizzy777 two reasons really, 1 I don't have my sewing machine serviced yet and the timing and F/S is off so wouldn't want to ruin it and I'm itching to sew again. Cross-stitch isn't cutting it, other reason is to see if I can do it so a bit of a personal goal for me

hi country gal,  thanks for the reply, that's a great idea then. I've seen the pattern on Amazon for £5.95 if that helps.

I once sewed a pair of curtains by hand a long time ago when I moved house as I didn't have access to a sewing machine at the time and I quite enjoyed making them by hand, even though it took some time. They weren't long ones and weren't lined and were for a kitchen. So I can understand how you feel.

Have you chosen the fabric for it yet?

lizzy

countrygal

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 08:02:11 AM »
hi country gal,  thanks for the reply, that's a great idea then. I've seen the pattern on Amazon for £5.95 if that helps.

Have you chosen the fabric for it yet?

lizzy

Oh thank you - I already have the pattern just used the link as can't post pictures unless you are a subscribed member. Always a bit heart breaking to see when you could of saved money though  ><

I've got my eye on a cotton silk blend in either a dusty pink or emerald green but haven't fully made up my mind - I have learnt to not ask the OH for his opinion however  0_0 What style of curtains did you make? Never attempted home furnishings